puch

Started by dennis brown, January 23, 2014, 08:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennis brown

not a penton but .i found a very nice 175 puch. on the gas tank are the puch decals all stock but around the plastic puch badge is a decal that says penton usa. this is the first such decal i have seen on a puch. any info on this  thanks

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Kip Kern

Dennis
Can you send a photo to [email protected]?  I have a Puch (1976 MX) and have never seen this either.  My neighbor was a Puch dealer and still has a NOS 1974 175 and dealer inventory. Sounds neat! PS, I just had the 1976 and up correct tank decals remade so pass the word if you or anyone else needs any and I can point you in the right direction.

Paul Danik

I remember seeing those decals, don't remember the exact circumstance for sure. John was involved with importing the Puchs and I do think that is why the decal was installed. I think Bob Hoffer (sp) was the guy JP hired to run that side of the business, but those facts are buried pretty deep...:)

Paul

desmond197

The Puch parts book I have shows those decals

Daniel P. McEntee

I believe Dwight Rudder has a 175 Puch with that same decal on it. I would be interested in the back story.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Bud Green

Dennis
Back when I was riding for John he had
me ride a 175 Puch set up  
when Bob HOFFER WAS dealer IN PA.
I won 200a in 150 national Athens ohio
Don't remember decals
never saw the bike after the run.
 Bud Green

Dwight Rudder

That was when Fredrick Dengel was importing Puchs. John had a hand in them. Remember Doug Wilford went to work for Dengel with Johns blessing. John had a hand in importing Hercules also. I have a new unused frame with a shipping tag that says Penton Recreational Products. I remember seeing PUCHs in about 1973 with the Penton Sticker on the tank in Alabama.

dennis brown

thanks everyone! the puch comes from penn.one yr i rode the 250 little burr on a 175 penton. doug wilford and and a rider i think was b.moran?were on same number. my family pitted for the 3 of us. they were on 175 puchs i have pics of that event.

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Dale Fisher

Puch 175 Steel Tanker

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Dale Fisher

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

dennis brown

thanks dale, that is the decal, the puch has an up pipe and fork braces.i had not seen pic of the puch penton 175 before. i have been riding a 1971 greeves with a 175 puch motor. i put in a mzb ignition an d it runs very well.they only made the enduro model 1 yr. and about 150 of them.bike handles very well for a 1971

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

paul a. busick

Hi Dennis, I think the rider you are think about is Earl (AKA Topper) Morain.  Topper was a very good local rider who participated in local and national events. He got his nick name as a high connecter in the iron hanger trade. During the late 60s and early 70s Topper was a Puch and Hurcules dealer in the Amherst area. Toppers son Todd was also a very good rider and competed in CNCC events as well as ISDT (or ESDE?). I'll be seeing you at the IX show or the White Lightning CC.  Amherst Paul

dennis brown

thanks paul, i recall he had longer blonde hair. that was a good day riding with them. see at ix center

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

desmond197

Dennis I have 2 of those Greeves Pathfinders and they handle very well.

dennis brown

i really think the puch motors were underestimated all they needed was a better ignition and a mzb fixed that. i wonder how different things may have been if the pentons had stayed with puch motors

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown