Penton rear shocks

Started by clayman, July 06, 2002, 09:59:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

The rear end of my 1972 Penton 125 sits a bit low. Shocks are probably 12" eye to eye. I'm 6'4" and need to raise the bike considerably. I have already built a GP seat, adding nearly 4" of foam. Can I use 13 or 13-and-a half inch rear shocks without affecting the machine's handling. What do most riders use for shocks/shock lengths?
Sincerely,
Clay Light

Chris Brown

The stock shock length is 13.5" If you are going to race AHRMA vintage class you will want a stock length shock. This has been explored thoroughly by many and almost always come up with WORKS Performance as the solution. They will set them up for your size and style of riding.
Happy Trails....
Chris Brown

OUCWBOY

Clay,
I agree with Chris, go with the WORKS shocks. You will get your money's worth. They seem to cool better too.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tlanders

I have been using Progressive Suspension's vintage shocks with adjustable damping and spring preload. I order the longest they have in that style at 14.25". They work great and I think they look better. The Works blue and white shocks just don't look right. Teddy

lobo6y

Teddy,
I have both Works and Prorgressive. Happy with both.  
Works can be ordered with black springs, no extra cost ( too much, already!).  I have two sets with black springs.
dave

OUCWBOY

Teddy and Dave.
I agreee with the color issue, but I found out that Works is willing to change the color if you desire. Or at least that's what they told me last time I spoke to them.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

Clay,
How are things with the new bike. I gotta tell you I sold the Jackpiner last week. Rode it for a year and came out even.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dwight Rudder

I believe the stock length on the 1972-74 Penton 125 was 13". The 1971 and before had 13.5". Someone else told me that they were 12.5 "
I ran 13" Koni on my 1974 model
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Jeff Reid

Ohlins offers a shock for Pentons that comes in 13.4", 14.2", or 15" out of the box. Special lengths can be custom built very quickly. They look very "vintage friendly" Ask Kevin Brown or Kent Knudsen about these shocks.

Jeff Reid

Kip Kern

Hi Point catalog calls for 12.5" length on the CMF Penton.  13.5" on the Steel Tank models.  Progressive recommends a 1" add for the "Vintage" style race shocks if used for racing. (CR High Performance)

Jeff Reid

Ohlins offers a shock for Pentons that comes in 13.4", 14.2", or 15" out of the box. Special lengths can be custom built very quickly. They look very "vintage friendly" Ask Kevin Brown or Kent Knudsen about these shocks.

Jeff Reid

Kip Kern

Hi Point catalog calls for 12.5" length on the CMF Penton.  13.5" on the Steel Tank models.  Progressive recommends a 1" add for the "Vintage" style race shocks if used for racing. (CR High Performance)

Mike Lenz

The Ohlins work great. Im very satisifed with them. They seem to have a little more compression dampening than the Works which is a GOOD thing with four inches of travel!

Dwight Rudder

Kevin Brown also likes the Ohlins for MX but I still think the Works are best for offroad and are very plush . They pump up for whoops but give on sharp edge bumps. My Six Day felt like I added 3 inches more travel with the Works shocks and 7.5wt fork oil. I loved it.
Cher'o,
Dwight Rudder

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Jeff Reid

Dwight, The Ohlins shocks are completely re-valvable (as are the Works Performance)so to say one is better than another for a given type of racing isn't fair to either shock. True racing shock builders (those whose shocks are re-valvable) try to send you their best guess at a setting for your intended use. I can tell you for certain no manufacturer can send you the absolute best setting for you and your style of riding on their first guess. The settings delivered in the Ohlins shocks are working well for most instances but if you weren't happy with that setting please send them back and we will change the valving. To truely maximze performance for the individual some track testing is needed. I think people dealing with old bikes might not realize that modern shocks are not a magic sealed device that can't be changed or modified. The Ohlins are completely re-valvable using the same shim type valving system used in the Ohlins shocks that were on 21 of the 33 starters at this year's Indy 500. ( sorry, couldn't resist the commercial)Remember, these are not like the shocks that may have come on that old bike when it was new.

Jeff Reid