Penton Nuts

Started by Rob Thatcher, January 29, 2014, 08:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Thatcher

I am on my third Penton, second restoration. What is it that so attracts rodents to fill the exhaust pipes with nuts. I understand some nuts from the Danik shed, but didn't expect them for then Virginia Beach bike too.

It wasn't near as plugged up as the one off the Jackpiner, though.

Obviously, I am going a little stir crazy with the cold.  JP himself liked the job I did on the engine; pipe and frame painting is all that is left prior to assembly of the 72 six days.

marsattacks

Even worse, they and mice also seem to love airboxes.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

rob w

Living inside a exhaust pipe would be worse than being in a submarine.
Now kick'n back inside a nice roomy airbox, would be more like a condo.

Kip Kern

Rob

I bought a Maico from Indiana and the down pipe was completely filled with cat food.  Mice had packed it all the way to the piston, good thing it was at TDC[:o)]

joe novak

Rob,   I visited Jerry at Penton's and saw the great repair on your 72 Six-Days frame.    What is your plan on the paint job?    I am not far behind you in a restoration project....    joe

Rain Man

they sell mouse traps at the hardware store.
 living in "their woods" makes your barn or garage a tarket.
 I even keep record of how many i get every year [:o)]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Rob Thatcher

I am painting the frame and swing arm with a rattle can.  Other than that, it is ready to re-assemble. I am not trying to make it a show bike, but it will be a really, really nice racer. The tank is nice, the wheels came out nice (a little rusty on the nipples), the engine looks new.  According to Penton Racing Products, it shifts really nice (for a Sachs motor!). Pretty much all of the sub-components are done except for things needing painted.  New fork seals, new oil, seal savers, shock bushings, petcocks, ect.

The only part left needing work is the exhaust.  it is a little dinged up but should clean up nice.  It is different from the Jackpiner one I did before.  I found a really reasonably priced stainless steel heat shield for it.  It is off a 73 instead of 72, but going with the budget basis of the operation, it was $70 cheaper than the proper one.

The bike should start assembly next week.  I hope to have it completed for the Medina swap meet/show. Pictures will follow.