Pro Taper bars

Started by rob w, July 09, 2002, 12:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Has anyone tried to use Pro Taper style (fat)handle bars on their Penton? I know I would have to do some machining or even make a new top triple clamp. The only hard part would be to find a tapered reamer to match the top of the fork tubes. If anyone else is interested, I could pursue this project. Thanks rob w.

rob w

I forgot to say I'm thinking of a "74-75", 250 & 400 when I'm talking about this, but imput of any model would be great, thanks.

Preston Dreyer

Moose/Parts Unlimited has adaptors for fat bars that raise up the centerline of the bars over an inch which would help add to the rise for vintage application. I personally have not tried it. The only problem I can see would be that the adaptors are probably made for 8mm bolts instead of the 6mm bolts used on early Pentons.

rob w

Hi Preston, yes I believe your right, the easiest and quickest way to do this is to adapt a custom bar clamp set, to the stock  triple clamp, with attention to the finished handle bar heighth.  I want to clarify that with this and the steering damper thing, I'm not trying to change the world. I'm merely using every trick to have the most competitive bike I can. I think one of my biggest concerns when getting back on these machines after so long, is fatigue, even with new $350 shocks, there is still only 4" of it. The fat bars will absorb some of the shock, and vibrations, and since harley's had 1" bars back then, it should be allowed. (don't know yet positively) The older I get, the harder it gets to finish a moto with some respectful speed, and who wants to drive 20 hours to get to the track, only to weeze out after 10 minutes.    I also would like to add that nobody appreciates a original, stock, Penton, any more than me. Thanks, rob.

Edited by - rob w on 07/14/2002  11:17:14 AM

Dwight Rudder

Why ruin the looks of a fine Vintage bike with handlebars that didn't come out till less than 10 years ago. If you want the Vintage equivalant go with INTER-AM solid Aluminum Bars. That is what we used back in the mid 70s. They worked very well. I would laugh at someone who put pro-tapers on their Penton. Doug Wilford prefered the non crossbar Chrome moly type.
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

lobo6y

I'm with you Dwight.  I have seen a few (one or two) of these come thru tech occasionally and the appearance is really strikingly "not vintage".
You offer a great alternative; I used one in the desert in the '80s.  An additional help is a few minutes a day with a wrist/grip strengthener.

Then again, keep in mind this comment is coming from a guy who wears vintage outer gear (jeans or old leathers and rugby shirt) just like I did back then, but I put all modern safety stuff underneath (Acerbis zoom2, Thor knee pads, current Snell helmet (open face with scots protector) , etc).  I think a major part of the sport is the look of racing "the way it was".
regards, dave janiec

OUCWBOY

Dave,
You are so right on! I read a story once about a guy who had gotten away from racing for about 20 years and when he came back he attended a modern MX race. He couldn't even tell a Honda from a Yamaha or a KTM from a Suzuki or a Kawasaki form a Husqvarna. With all the funky graphics and stuff, I agreee. The 18 year old has all the latest gear and when he's dressed he looks like Darth Vader!
When he goes out to ride I say "May the KTM be with you" Vintage is vintage and should look like vintage. I do understand the need to make the bikes feel and ride easier as we get older, but half the fun is the look.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

rob w

Hey, I agree with all of you, when I first became interested in "vintage racing", and went to check out the scene, I was hoping that everyone was going to look like Frank Stacy or Buck Murphy or like Dave. But it's true, we can never truely go home again. When we look at the phrase, "Vintage Racing", you might see "Vintage", or you can see the word "Racing". When you raced, did you go to win, or to look a certain way?Plus, have you looked for a pair of Torsten Hallman leathers lately? I have used both kinds of the handlebars you've mentioned, so that has crossed my mind. All in all, handlebars all look pretty much the same, I am concerned about having the bike look the era, and it will. Would it bother anyone if I put a complete titanium bolt kit on my steel tanker? For $600, I could lose 39 ounces. Thanks, rob

john durrill

I Agree with Dwight. I had a set of the CM bars and they were much easier on my shoulders in rough terrain. They may not give you quiet as much precision on the turns but over a long enduro i was much fresher and could go faster longer.
Dwight do you know of a source for the CM bars? I would very much like to find a set.
John

Dwight Rudder

The Chrome moly type with out a crossbar is hard to find these days. You can find a few of the solid aluminum Inter-AM Bars on salvage bikes .I bet someone will have some at VMD.
Dwight

7 time ISDT / E medalist
7 time National Enduro Class Champion.

john durrill

Doug,
 would you have the hight , sweep and bend dementions on a set of the old Crome Molly bars with out the cross piece? Flanders is still around i believe and they are a great source for bars for older bikes. they may just have a set that will work.
Thanks ,
John & Peter

Mark Annan

I know for sure there will be a couple of sets of NOS Inter-Am bars there.  Becky has them.  I think there will be a couple of used sets also.  Be there bright and early Friday.  

Mark A