Newby from Across The Pond

Started by Richard Toghill, April 09, 2014, 03:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Toghill

Hello all, just signed up to the POG so that I can get some help/advice from the guys who know. My name is Richard Toghill, I live near Bristol in the UK, and I am in the process of rebuilding a 74.5 250 Hare Scrambler. I bought the bike as 80% restored but have ended up starting again from scratch. The motor has been completely rebuilt, new forks, wheels rebuilt, new plastics, new Mikuni carb etc. The only thing left to do is the pipe which is proving to be a bit of a challenge!
Only around 40 74.5's were imported into the UK and I can only recall only ever seeing one 250 so, as you can imagine, spare parts are rare to say the least. New parts have to come from Al Buehner or Andre Horvath in Austria. Neither option is cheap because if the parts come from the US, I get charged an additional 20% plus handling when they get to the UK.
I have tried to keep the bike as original as possible but have had to use Marzocchi triple clamps and fork tubes because I couldn't find any Cerianis to replace the bent ones that were in the bike. Rear shocks are Ohlins from a Military 350 Harley D that have been shortened. Fenders are from DC but the side panels are new glass fibre ones that I had made (and were cheaper than DC's).
I was going to buy an aftermarket pipe from the US but by the time I add on the cost of shipping, plus the excise duty, it would cost me nearly $550. There are exact replicas available in Austria but the are even more expensive - close to $1000 with shipping. After much searching, I have found a guy who is going to make me a pipe or repair the old one - apparently he is very good (must be as I have to wait until mid May to get it done).
Will post some photos of the old girl when she is complete so you guys can tell me what you think of the rebuild.

Regards,

Rich T

Dale Fisher

Welcome Richard!  Take a look at this page and see if the item you are looking for is available.  Chow!

http://www.pillondorino.com/HomePage.htm

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Richard Toghill

Thanks Dale, they do list the pipe I need but don't show any prices. I have sent them an email but as yet, no reply. Just hope the google translator works![:p][:p][:p][:p]

Dale Fisher

Based on their photos it looks like they attend various shows.  Whether or not they make it into the UK?  I usually will send a message in both languages since most Europeans know several.  Best of luck and let us know how things go.  Cheers!

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Richard Toghill

Our main show is The Classic Dirt Bike Show in February. Brad Lackey was guest of honour this year. We get traders coming from Belgium and Holland but unfortunately the Italians have yet to make a visit - not many old Katooms over here.:(

beano

Hi Richard there are a few lurking in the backs of sheds, unfortunatley  they are not eligable for pre74. I can remember them comeing out in 74, there where a few around gloucester a friend of mine had a new 400 have to be one of the coolest looking bikes of the time i have a may built 74.5 [8D]

Richard Toghill

I reckon you could get round the Pre74 loophole by running the shocks upright. This model was first released in November 73 if I have the right information. Has got to be just as legal as a Faber BSA with 8 inches of travel both ends, and not one original part inside the motor - your thoughts please!!!!!

beano

i totally agree especially when you have bikes like mk 8 pursangs 74 huskys etc i guess some clubs will allow them  as you say if you run shocks upright with the correct amount of travel

beano

just remembered :) Have you been on the circa 74 website they have a race series that will allow these bikes i think most races are in the north of the country

ksithumper

Richard, glad to see another early KTM - very few to be seen here. The circa 77 lads are very friendly and an ideal intro to racing. Some clubs in the south (Dartmouth, Bath) also have a circa class. Otherwise some pre-75 clubs will let it in as a 74.5 model. We need pics!
I just started resto of my  400, nothing to show yet except a big heap of rusty bits, but watch this space!