'74 Penton Chain Guide Brackets

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, May 05, 2014, 12:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

Does anyone have a photo of the chain guide assembly installed on a '74 or '75 Penton 250 or 400? Perhaps without the sheet metal chain guard? I imagine the Jackpiner is the same. I'm working on that area on two project bikes, and I'm having an issue with the two aluminum brackets aligning correctly like I think they should. On each bike, the top hole on the longer inner bracket does not reach to hole on the bracket that is on the swing arm. I don't have access to my Jackpiner to compare it, and my '73 250 is a little different, although I thought '73 through '75 brackets were all the same. I'm sure I'm just forgetting something or missing something. I'm just getting back to these after the winter, and had to dig out loose parts and try to remember what they were put together like. I tried searching the list but haven't turned up anything that I can see. I didn't have this problem on the '73, and I think the brackets I used on that bike were off ebay, or from the parts collection I have been gathering over the last couple of years. If I install the plastic guide block, install the front 6mm bolt, and install the 8mm bolt that mounts the outer bracket with the brake stay, and even up the two brackets, the top hole on the inner bracket doesn't reach the hole in the bracket on the swing arm. I hope this makes sense. A picture is worth a thousand words, and any help will be much appreciated.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Andreas Piepke

\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Anreas; Well, yes and no. That is the chain guide in question. Your bike looks like a 1974, with the single position short travel rear shock. The outer bracket mounts at the same hole that the brake stay mounts to. The inner bracket is longer or taller, and should line up with a bracket that is welded to the swing arm. It looks like the bracket is missing from your swing arm. On my '73, it is a single piece of sheet metal, and on these two '74 1/2 and '75 project bikes, there is a small brace that is welded to the tab assembly. On each bike I have had to do some straightening of the bracket, but haven't done anything to change the location of the hole. It has been several months since I have worked on them, and I have assembled everything from loose parts, so have no memory of any other parts I may be missing or forgot about. If I raise the inner bracket up to where it will line up with the tab hole, it is way out of alignment with the outer bracket, about 1/2 inch. This is one of those simple things that should just fall together, and as I have the same situation on both bikes, I figured I am forgetting something, or have lost a part. According to the '73 parts book I have, I have all the parts, and the brackets should be the same for '73 through '75, as far as I know. A simple problem but fustrating none the less!
   Thanks for posting the picture,
   Dan McEntee

Keith Meatyard

Dan, I just emailed you some pics of my 74 jackpiner chain guard which I think is stock.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Keith;
    Yeah, I got the pictures. The bottom one shows the outer bracket pretty well. The chain guard is mounted between the tab on the swing arm and the top hole in the taller inner bracket, that you can't see in your picture. The same 6mm bolt goes through all three parts. Maybe I just gotta take a hard look at what I got again. If I'm doing something wrong, I'm doing it twice because the bracket misses the hole in the tab by the same amount on both bikes! Might take another look at it in the morning, and if I have to, just weld on a bit of an extension.
  Thanks for the help guys.
   Dan McEntee