Penton Hare Scrambler exhaust

Started by Andreas Piepke, May 18, 2014, 06:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Piepke

Hi Penton Experts,

Here's a new puzzle: this is a "new" exhaust for my 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler (250 ccm) that I just refurbished. The exhaust outlet has a spark arrestor that is US made (marked Super Trapp). Its parts are shown here:

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/andreas_g_piepke/media/Penton/100_3333_zpse9a09731.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

When put together it look like this:

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/andreas_g_piepke/media/Penton/100_3336_zps227ccc65.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Here my questions:
1) Is this original or a re-fit?
2) Is there some cover or cap that needs to go over the spark arrestor?

As usual, many thanks for your input and expertise!

Andreas
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

firstturn

This is not original, but looks nice and clean.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

454MRW

That is the correct arrangement for the Super Trapp silencer and requires no additional cover or cap, but it would be to your advantage to fabricate one that shields the fender and seat area side from exhaust heat and residue. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Steve Minor

I ditto Mike's suggestion and advise you to slip a section of fuel line over that exposed stud. Cut it about 1" too long. It will protect the threads and might prevent an injury in case of a fall. I say this from experience. Good looking setup....got the same thing on my 1977 400 GS6.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

SouthRider

Not original - but period correct. They were sold by Hi-Point, and were a popular mod in the late 70's for KTM engine Pentons.

They really help the engine to breathe, and were tunable in that you could add or remove discs as needed to get it to run better or be quieter as conditions dictated.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Andreas Piepke

Thanks a lot for the info!

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Wesley Plunkett

Nice project you have going there Andreas. I recently bought a Mint 400 that has a similar pipe on it, I didn't know Hi Point made them. If you know the maximum number of discs you are going to put on it you can cut off some of the stud so it doesn't stick out so far. I don't think you'd ever need more than 10. You can also put an "acorn nut" on the end.

You might want to hang on to the pipe that came on that bike, it looks like the original "motocross" style pipe that came on those but appears to have a funky silencer welded on the back. If you could find an original end cap you might be able to restore it. I have an early '74 (10/73 production date) Harescrambler with a really nice example of that pipe on it. I would include a photo if I wasn't so "computer challenged" [B)]

Andreas Piepke

A photo would be great! The exhaust that was originally on the bike was in worse shape. Indeed an endpiece has been welded on the one shown on the pictures. I have 8 disks. Otherwise this exhaust is in reasonable shape.

Cheers

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Wesley Plunkett

Hi Andreas,

The Mint 400 pipe also has 8 discs. The stud has been cut and has a 1/4-20 acorn nut with 2 flat washers over the nylock nut that holds the disks on. The same setup is on a supertrapp muffler on my Ossa MAR trials bike but with 4 disks. I have to clean the discs on that one often or they carbon up.

I guess I'll have to sign up for photobucket.com, it looks like a good way to go.

Wes

Larry Perkins

The pipe pictured is a 74 MX silencer for the MX model.  The 73 pipe was a weird dual outlet silencer.

Andreas Piepke

Wes thanks for the pictures! This indeed looks like mine. Does this work well?

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

chicagojerry

that is the best working pipe that you can have.   chi jer

Wesley Plunkett

Andreas,

I haven't ridden the bike with the Hi-Point pipe, but I'm sure it will work fine. It looks alot like a stock pipe all the way back to the silencer. The nice thing about the Super Trapp is it's a spark arrestor too.

I raced the Hare Scrambler with the stock pipe and it ran great, it could hang with any vintage 250. I bought a new one from Ace because I wanted to preserve the stock one. Good thing I did because a couple of races later I tacoed the Ace pipe pretty bad. It's repaired now and I run it on my '74 1/2 250. That bike rips too. I put an FMF turbine core muffler on it, not period correct but it is much quieter and has a spark arrestor.

Andreas Piepke

Hi Experts,

I finally installed the engine and exhaust on my 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler. Getting the pipe in was EXTREMELY difficult as there doesn't seem enough clearance to make any kind of adjustments. The pictures below show the pipe from the left side:

and the right side:

It does fit after some pushing and pulling. The problem is this:

The pipe touches the frame on its top. I am afraid that there will be a hole in there in no time once one adds vibrations to the picture.
Is this situation normal? Maybe I don't have the right pipe? Perhaps one could try to add some heat resistant rubber on top of the pipe to dampen the vibrations. I would appreciate any experience you could share with me on this!

Cheers

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS