unadilla this weekend new cc course

Started by chicagojerry, May 27, 2014, 08:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

hi guys. larry barnes called me over the weekend to let me know that the harescramble course for unadilla is done. the start will now be in front of the mx starting gate and we will be using some of the nat'l mx track as well as other ares that we didn't use last year. its about 4.9 miles long as should be a very good course.   don't forget june 14th and 15th. clear fork ski resort AHRMA vmx pvmx and CC using the ski slopes and surrounding woods. my old lay out partner, jim kuhns and myself laid out the CC course. it will also be very good.  jim skokes has done the preliminary layout for the mx track and we will return the week before to put on the finishing touches.     chi jer

Gordon Brennan

Thanks Jerry, The boys out here can't wait!! As if last years Hare Scrambles wasn't fun enough, now they get to ride the track. Great news.
As you're milling around Thurs. and Friday morning, maybe you could recruit some checkers for the Trials.

Lew Mayer

I'll see you guys there. Leaving tomorrow A.M.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tooclose racing

Wow - I was just in my garage setting up my Gary Ellis "skunk works" 74.5 Jackpiner and was thinking the following: "Man, it sure would be nice (and different) if they let us run on some the MX track for the CC race at Unadilla..."  BAM!  Dream answered. Should be a lot of fun.

I'm only running my 175 in Vint 200 this year for the XC day instead of doing two XC races.  I've just been very busy with...I don't know...LIFE or something, and haven't got my 250 MC5 sorted out (yet) after it lost spark at a NE/MA MX race at Irish Valley 3 weeks ago. First year I'm not staying down near the track for weekend, heading back to Os-We-Go Friday night.  If I get 250 sorted on Saturday, I'll be down for PV MX on Sunday.  Looking forward to giving Lew Mayer a bump and run in the woods.  Rob S and Lube - don't cry for me YET Argentina - I'll figure out some way to show up on Sunday and give both of you backmarkers the spanking you deserve in PV MX.  ;)

seanguthrie

I've still never made Unadilla.  One of these years!

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Lew Mayer

Beautiful weather. Great CC course. Good racing and good friends.
Great weekend.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by Lew Mayer

Beautiful weather. Great CC course. Good racing and good friends.
Great weekend.

Lew Mayer

+1 Great weather and a fantastic facility. Gets bigger every year.
Watching Doug Henry race so hard and clearing the doubles was worth the trip all by itself.

Lew Mayer

He's an inspiration to watch.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tooclose racing

Fun XC course  - utilized some old, some new.  I actually liked having a couple hundred yards of MX course before hitting the woods, allowed me to get clear of just about everyone on my starting line except...a very fast Canadian on an Can-Am 175 who disappeared and (I subsequently determined) turned laps 30 seconds faster than me.  I'm thinking he signed up for wrong class - his times would have placed him 2nd or 3rd in Expert![B)]

Lowered my gearing by dropping to a 12T countershaft on Jackpiner (54T in rear) and it just sang like a bird in the woods.  Only issue was that my chain tension went to hell about halfway thru, which was odd because it really hasn't been an issue before - my bike has a chain tensioner!

As usual, the National MX track was HUGE, and huge fun.  Don't ask me how, but got the 76 MC5 spark working fine on Saturday back at the homestead and headed back down to Unadilla for Sunday PV.  The comraderie at this event is just fantastic - some Michigan guys let me take up some space under their pop-ups. Which was key because there was not a cloud in the sky on Sunday. Turn-out has probably gone down a bit for the Vint and PV MX racing, but still very impressive.  I actually scored a 2-2 in 250 Historic Intermediate out of 16 bikes, first time I've ever gotten "wood" at the Unadilla MX races.  I won't lie - clearly a couple fast guys in Historic probably didn't make the trip this year.  Still, I had a pretty good ride (fantastic starts guaranteed with an MC5 KTM motor) EXCEPT my spark started cutting out in middle of first Historic moto.  Not sure if throttle position helped/hurt, but then it came back near end of moto.  I had to turn around right away and race 50+ PV Intermediate first moto (insane - at least 25 guys in my "A" heat)and the spark went completely away on Lap 4 of 5.  Sigh..Pulled tank, checked all connections, sprayed, tightenened coil mounts (there was really nothing to tighten...), tightened/twisted spark plug cap, changed plug, pulled/cleaned kill switch.  And the bike ran spotless for 2nd Historic moto!  Based on my DNF in 50+ 1st moto, I skipped my 2nd (final) moto and began consuming beer and Ibuprofen and watched the last dozen motos of the day.  And got a great sunburn to boot!

FYI, running an almost new PVL coil with my Motoplat.  Al B has made the suggestion that it could still be a grounding issue and has provided me a way to check his theory. Another POGGER told me to get rid of my (cheap?) NGK spark plug cap.

tofriedel

Bob,

I heard you were there on Friday, but didn't see you either Sat. or Sun.  I don't think you owe me any money, so you could have looked me up. LOL   We were parked next to Marty Strouse all weekend and had plenty of beer available.

Tony

Tony
Tony

Ed Wilcox

I made it to Unadilla MX Rewind this year. The weather and the track were almost perfect. Got to meet a couple of POG members. Met Lew Mayer briefly and had a great chat with Gordon Brennan about Mudlarks. (I am restoring one)It was great to see someone actually riding one. I wish I had a nice Penton motocross bike but I don't so I had to settle for a borrowed brand X red bike. I raced in the http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/EWilcox183/P6040056_zpsa0536db4.jpg]mg]PV +60 intermediate class. I found out a 76 CR250 is all the wrong bike for PV motocross. In the first moto I got a terrible start almost last through the first turn. A couple guys fell down for me and I passed a few and I ended up in 4th place. The second moto I went through the first turn first and led to Gravity Cavity when an 83 liquid cooled single shock long travel RM jumped passed me down the hill and an 83 liquid cooled single shock long travel YZ jumped past me coming out. I jumped farther than I should have and bottomed out real hard and the right front fork sprayed oil on my boot and the tire. After the great start I charged to the finish in 3rd place. Ended the day with a 3rd place overall. The dinner with the Legends Saturday night was very special. Some amazing stories. Overall MX Rewind was a great weekend for me and I will go back next year with a better bike. I am also posting a few photos of my awesome parking spot by the starting line, Gordon on his Penton and my 3rd place plaque (check out the guy on the bottom left corner).

Gordon Brennan

Glad you had fun Ed. Nice meeting you. My Mudlark did well. This was the first ahrma Trials I have competed in since ahrma was at VMD. My tankless Penton got a lot of strange looks and questions. There was another Mudlark at Unadilla as well. Not sure if you saw it. It is exactly the way mine came to me, with a 5A iron barrel and lights. Except mine was pretty rough compared to this one.

And here's me with mine.

rs17517

Bob

Congratulations on your great finish, that's so cool.   How fortunate that the ignition issue didn't greatly affect your results in the Historic 250 class.  Was Sarah Lane taking photos?  If so, you'll have some great shots to remember the event.  She got a few good ones of us from last year.

Have you had the ignition tested by Jerry at Penton Imports?  Not sure if he'd be able to identify the source of your intermittent spark issue.

Rob Shofstahl

tooclose racing

Roberto!  Missed you and Luby making the trip.  Sarah Lane WAS there and I do need to check in with her and Jay.

No, haven't had them test my Motoplat but that might be the way to go to figure this out and sleep better at night. ;)