Rechroming Fork Tubes

Started by Keith Meatyard, July 03, 2014, 09:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

I have found a company in OHIO that rechromes fork tubes, and I just had them do a pair of pitted 35mm tubes.  They look beautiful.  Here are before and after pics.  Price is $110 each, $220 a pair for this size tube.
Go to  http://www.unitedsurfacefinishing.com/

Before:

After:

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Eric Lewin

Does the color look like the original? It's hard to tell by the photo. Did you have to do anything special to remove the oil?
 My local chrome shop will do rims for $100 but won't touch an exhaust because it contaminates the tank.

Keith Meatyard

Rechroming fork tubes is a different process than decorative chrome.  The fork tubes are hard chromed like hydraulic cylinder rods, and there has not been previuos success in the US finding someone to work on the motorcycle fork tubes.  As far as the color, they look like brand new tubes.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Eric Lewin

That's great. I think I might have to get mine done too. Thx

Larry Perkins

Sometimes rechromed tubes are not quite the same size and fit looser in the bushings and do not seal as well. One potential drawback.

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

Sometimes rechromed tubes are not quite the same size and fit looser in the bushings and do not seal as well. One potential drawback.
Again, this is not decorative chrome plating, nor is the outside diameter achieved by turning.  The diameter is finished by precision grinding after the chroming.  I measured down the lengths of both of these tubes.  Result = 1.377"/1.378".  When slid into the lower legs, they feel as tight as new forks.  

In past posts, members were looking for ways to restore pitted forks with no luck in the US.  The comments regarding the replacement forks was that the metal was not as strong as the originals.  When I called one of the replacement vendors and inquired about the grade of steel they used, they said 1026.  1026 is way down the list for strength.  Does anybody know the grade used originally?  I would think a grade in the order of 4140, and heat treated, stress relieved.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Todd Rovello

Keith thanks for sharing. I also was looking for someone that could perform this work.

Todd Rovello

Todd Rovello

Just got my 31 mm Showa fork tubes back from United Surface Finishing today. They were pitted and needed new hard chrome. They turned out great! Wish I new how to post photos to show them off. I would definitely recommend this company to others. $244 plus tax. Thanks to Keith for letting us know about them. Here is their contact information:

Derrick Bailey - CEO
United Surface Finishing
2202 Gilbert Ave
Canton, Oh 44705
330-453-2786 / Phone
330-453-1532 / Fax
[email protected]