Fork oil

Started by derek martin, July 05, 2014, 11:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek martin

I seem to have unusually bad luck with fork seals; currently I've got four vintage bikes with blown fork seals. None of these bikes are ridden very much and all the forks are in very good mechanical condition with oil level proper. The only common thread between them is I've used the same brand and weight of fork oil in all. Anybody experienced better seal life when a switch was made to a certain oil?

KJDonovan

Derek,

I always use 10W Belray fork oil and never have any issues.  I don't know what brand seals you buy, but I would recommend checking out the Pyramid brand, over the past 4 or 5 years I have used these on lots of bikes with great results.   http://www.pyramid-parts.com/pages/fork-oil-seals-1  The only downside is they usually take about 2 weeks to come in the mail because they come from New Zealand .

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
72 Montesa Cota 123T (Another Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

derek martin

Kevin I think you may be on to something as after reading your response I then remembered I used Belray fork oil in my 83 IT175 roughly 10 year ago and the seals are still holding. I'm wanting to go back to the Berkshires again - what a great ride that was.

Mick Milakovic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bel Ray used to market their oil as having "seal swell", whatever that is?

Mick
Mick

454MRW

There is a lot of ATF marketed with that feature. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Kip Kern

Use Leakproof seals

gooddirt

Yes do use seals that are MADE for FORKS. The seals I use are made in Italy... and check that the ball and spring in the fork cap is working and hole is not clogged

Wesley Plunkett

I think any good quality oil should be fine. I use 10w Pro Honda but Bel Ray is great too. I have been buying seals from //www.speedandsport.com
Installed them in 2 sets of Cerianis and 1 set of Betors, so far no leaks.

Maybe your bikes have been sitting too long Derek- it's time to take them out for a ride!

Wes

brian kirby

ATF for oil, and various brands of seals. I dont think the brand of seal is all that important, but I think using a proper fork seal driver to be sure the seal is driven straight into the lower leg is critical. After I broke down an bought a smaller diameter seal driver for my vintage bikes, I get far greater seal life.

Brian
Brian

gooddirt

bearing house china oil seals gone after a few races

derek martin

Thanks to all responders.
The leaky seals are the twin 47 x 35 x 7 on the Penton and the others are OEM (two Yamahas and a Honda).
At the coal mine we use AW\AL (anti-wear\anti-leak) hydraulic oil for its seal swelling properties and it definitely swells seals reducing leaks on some very complex hydraulic systems. Never really thought about fork oil with such an additive - Belray probably.
Seal drivers are good advice - I have a driver for the 48mm modern bikes but none for the vintage bikes.
I definitely need to make time for riding more often as we all probably do; good for the bikes and our own minds and bodies.
A  little Google searching revealed SKF is making fork seals now - used many many large SKF bearings and seals over the years and I'm pretty sure SKF owns Chicago Rawhide. SKF lists a 47.3 x35x10 seal and dust seal set. A lathed spacer could make these seals possibly work in the 35mm Cerianis if the OD being 0.3mm larger wouldn't prevent install.  Would anybody have a bare slider they could inside mike the seal fit ID and advise? Various forums and reviews talk positive for these SKF seals but they are fairly pricey at roughly $60 per set.

Daniel P. McEntee

If you ride at a coal mine, I don't think there is anything more abrasive that coal dust and grit. It will be everywhere you ride. I think some sort of fork boot or cover to help keep dust and grit out will be very helpful.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

Steve Minor

There are some pretty good "seal savers" on the market now that you might consider. They totally cover the seals and come in all colors. I Googled "Seal Savers" and found several choices.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

derek martin

No coal mine riding now but I do work at one. Sure did spend many a youthful day riding the many old coal mine gob piles that existed in my area back in the pre-reclamation days though.
I've gotten away from using Seal Savers due to possible dirt retention causing contamination and/or wear. One of the bikes in discussion here  (77 IT175) was fitted with seal savers and still blew a seal.

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by derek martin

I've gotten away from using Seal Savers due to possible dirt retention causing contamination and/or wear. One of the bikes in discussion here  (77 IT175) was fitted with seal savers and still blew a seal.

+1 on that Derek. Never cared for fork boots either. What goes in stays in and you don't even know it until you take them off.

Hey, I bet you haven't had a stuffed quahog since the Berkshires last August.