Bark busters

Started by tmc3c, July 19, 2002, 04:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I know that pro tapers are a vintage no no,but what about bark busters? The woods in South Carolina are tight to say the least,are there any other choices that would keep the vintage look? we usually have to take a 11/2" off new bars just to fit through the trees!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Tom,
 i plan to use them at the ISDTRR. ask Teddy and Dwight when the get back from mid ohio.
 i know some of the folks use them . just need to get some that will clear our levers. the newer bikes use much shorter levers and some bark busters may not clear.
 John

tmc3c

What about cutting levers off? are you using metal or plastic gaurds? I really am trying to stay close to thr original 70's but my nuckles are not young anymore.Were gaurds out in the 70's? I was racing flat track and motocross and never in the woods so I don't know about this.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

chkitout

I don't know how one tracks down the history of bark busters but I recall crashing rather hard one time in the early 70's because my front brake lever was caught in some salt cedar limbs and thinking that I should have bought a bark buster(might have been called a different name). As I recall they were just a simple Alm bar at the time. Kinda of sissy type equip at the time. My two cents worth. Walt

tmc3c

Thanks Walt! I guess I need to go with them,I guess the old saying of "better safe than sorry" comes into play on this one.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

joeaw

It seems that I remember the first bark busters I ever saw were just aluminum rod, maybe 1/2" stuck in the end of the bar, bent around the levers and clamped to the handlebar with hose clamps. Except for the hole in the grip, these could be installed for riding in the woods, and removed for show or display.

Dave Withrow

Hi Tom.  Joe is right about the piece of aluminum.  A guy I rode with made them back in "the day".  I use Bark Busters (or any equivilent) and my arthritic fingers thank me for it.  By the way, Pro grip makes a dandy set of thicker grips with the holes already in the end.  Just put on the Bark Busters and go have fun!

tmc3c

Thanks guy's I will now feel better using a set of barkbusters and I know my hands will.I had a set on my husky but this PENTON is special to me.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tmc3c

Thanks guy's I will now feel better using a set of barkbusters and I know my hands will.I had a set on my husky but this PENTON is special to me.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler