1970 125 Penton

Started by Allen Scott, October 03, 2014, 10:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen Scott

Help ? Trying to get this bike ready for the AIM show Orlando in a couple of weeks.
1970 125 Penton green metal tank bike.
 I'm looking to purchase a Headlight # plate for the small bullet style headlight.
(The oval plate with cut out for smaller headlight)
Also looking for front and rear aluminum fenders.
Thanks
Allen
772-215-5448 c
[email protected]

tofriedel

For the fenders, go to "Parmabike" on eBay search for Penton parts.  He has new fenders as produced for the early Pentons.  //[email protected].

As for the number plate, I do not know if there are any of those still around as new.  You can get a new yellow oval plate and cut the bottom to accommodate the headlight.

Tony
Tony

Allen Scott

Thanks for the info.
Appreciated !

Mike Schulz

Hi Allen and welcome to the group! We have 1970 steel tankers V2080 and V2870 and purchased our alloy fenders from N Field Gear 1405 Cannon Circle Faribault, MN 55021. Phone number 1(800)358-0938. Look them up on the web. You will need 21" x 4" universal for the front (old part number Z90605) and 18"-19" x 5" for the rear (Z90607). You will have to cut and drill them but they are very close to original. Price is around $90 a piece. Al Buehner sometimes has the front number plates. You can look him up on the home page suppliers tab. Good luck with your project and thanks for keeping your Penton in show shape! Let everyone at the show know about the POG and the new "John Penton Story" movie- it is a must see! If you haven't done so already, print out and send in the steel tanker questionaire for the steel tanker project that is also on the home page.
Mike Schulz

Allen Scott

Mike,
I really appreciate the detailed info on finding the fenders.
I will keep you posted on how I do.  
Regards
Allen

Paul Danik

Allen,

Just wanted to mention that I don't think there is any difference in the cut outs on the front number plates for the small headlight verses the larger headlight on the steel tankers. If you or anyone else feels differently please feel free to correct my assumption, always looking to learn.....

Also, if you would provide us with your thoughts on the AIM show it would be appreciated, have been reading a few ads for it and it sounds like a pretty big event. Curious to see what you think of it.

Also #2, I see your email reads Spectroflorida, is that the oil company? If so you wouldn't be the gentleman that attended the POG 40/10 event a few years back in Amherst by chance and set up the really neat Spectro booth? One of those fellows had a Steel Tanker and had it on display in their booth.

Paul

Tom Murphy

Tom Murphy
\\\'73 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'74 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 125 six day
\\\'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'74 125 six day
\\\'74 Mint 400
\\\'74 Maico 440
\\\'72 Mudlark
\\\'81 RM125
\\\'82 RM250

Dale Fisher

Fender requests have generally been directed to the Royal Enfield website.  I believe it is necessary to call to specify the sizes you are looking for.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/ecatalog/

Roberto (Parmabike) will sometimes have one or more listings on his fender sets.  It is important to note the years on the listing as the length of the newer rear fenders is too short for earlier bikes and the front wider.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Allen Scott

I want to thank everyone for there help and input. I'm still trying to figure out how to reply on the forum.
Seem like there is a couple different ways. Not sure if I hit the reply to the individual post or the reply on the side?
I will attempt to answer a few questions.
I thought I read on one of the suppliers. Pentonmotorcycles.com  that there were two different headlight # plates
Available small bullet and large headlight type.  I did see the # plate on e bay but am hesitant due to not knowing if it is the correct one or not. I'm sure it will work either way.  
On the fenders. I will contact both the Royal Enfield and Nfield Gear on Monday and hopefully get them ordered.
I will let everyone know how that goes. I already contacted Royal Enfield but was unable to get through to the correct person.  Try again on Monday.

I am the Spectro Oil distributor for Florida and southern Ga. Spectro Corp in Ct asked me if I could bring a Penton to the AIM show in Orlando Fl.  They want to put it in our booth for conversation and to highlight our roots in the motorcyle industry.  Spectro is a sponsor of the John Penton movie. Spectro also made the High Point Branded oil products during the High point years. I understand that there is a sponsor of the Penton movie for the Entire AIM show and they will be showing the Penton movie non stop continous for the entire show.  This is all very exciting and I am honored that Spectro Corp wants me to bring a Penton for the booth.  I hope I don't let them down.

Now some history on this bike. Not really sure.  
My dad was a Penton dealer in Fort Lauderdale FL. The shop was a Hodaka,Penton,Husky shop called
Johns Cycle Center opened the shop in the late 60s. I pretty much grew up there. Every Sat all day every summer whenever school was out I was there.  My Dad was a Penton guy.   I remember Tom Penton staying at our house and us storing his van and bike in our garage while he was deployed.  I can remember riding enduros with my dad in what was called the buddy class.  Penton 125cc six Day. Sitting on the steel tank. Feet on the pipe and cyl head.  Holding on to the cross bar.
I have had this particular bike in my garage for at least 20 years . Not sure where my dad got it from but he picked it up along his journey. He could have sold it new and got it back. He never said and at the time I never asked. My dad John Scott has passed on now 14 years ago.
This bike may be a 1971 ? The serial # is V 6653 it's in really great shape and unrestored. Just needs a little love to get into unrestored show shape.

Thanks to everyone for the info.
Allen

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Allen;
   Now this is too cool! I really hope you can get it in the shape you need for the show. There is an identification page or two on the list but part of it doesn't work right now. Find the section on the home page for the Steel Tanker Survey, and follow the steps and photos related to that. That will help you figure out what year it is. I have my little brother's '71 100 Berkshire, and that is how I figured out fort sure what year it was. Lots of little differences in the steel tankers from '69 through '71. You'll find out that all through the entire Penton production run things changed and improvements were implemented during a production year. I'm gonna guess from your serial number it's a '70 or '71. I can't remember my brother's serial number right now. Good luck with it and thanks for the story. Hope to hear more from you. I love this kind of stuff!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Dale Fisher

There are two distinct front plates available.  The one in the above listing is plastic for the larger headlight.  Have you tried Al Buehner?  Usually when he is out of number plates he is really out [V]

Note:  Roberto extends a member discount to those who contact him via email.

Dale Fisher
Mudlark Registry

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Allen Scott

Yes I have tried Al Buehner.  He is out.
Thanks for the Info.
Regards
Allen

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dale Fisher

There are two distinct front plates available.  The one in the above listing is plastic for the larger headlight.  Have you tried Al Buehner?  Usually when he is out of number plates he is really out [V]

Note:  Roberto extends a member discount to those who contact him via email.

Dale Fisher
Mudlark Registry

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257

Allen Scott

Thanks for the info. I have learned so much just in the last couple of days from this site. Tons of great info here !

Quotequote:Originally posted by Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Allen;
   Now this is too cool! I really hope you can get it in the shape you need for the show. There is an identification page or two on the list but part of it doesn't work right now. Find the section on the home page for the Steel Tanker Survey, and follow the steps and photos related to that. That will help you figure out what year it is. I have my little brother's '71 100 Berkshire, and that is how I figured out fort sure what year it was. Lots of little differences in the steel tankers from '69 through '71. You'll find out that all through the entire Penton production run things changed and improvements were implemented during a production year. I'm gonna guess from your serial number it's a '70 or '71. I can't remember my brother's serial number right now. Good luck with it and thanks for the story. Hope to hear more from you. I love this kind of stuff!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Allen Scott

Mike,

Ordered fenders this morning from NField Gear. Should be here in FL in 3 days.

Really apreciate the info... it was spot on !

Allen

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mike Schulz

Hi Allen and welcome to the group! We have 1970 steel tankers V2080 and V2870 and purchased our alloy fenders from N Field Gear 1405 Cannon Circle Faribault, MN 55021. Phone number 1(800)358-0938. Look them up on the web. You will need 21" x 4" universal for the front (old part number Z90605) and 18"-19" x 5" for the rear (Z90607). You will have to cut and drill them but they are very close to original. Price is around $90 a piece. Al Buehner sometimes has the front number plates. You can look him up on the home page suppliers tab. Good luck with your project and thanks for keeping your Penton in show shape! Let everyone at the show know about the POG and the new "John Penton Story" movie- it is a must see! If you haven't done so already, print out and send in the steel tanker questionaire for the steel tanker project that is also on the home page.
Mike Schulz

tofriedel

For the fenders, go to "Parmabike" on eBay search for Penton parts.  He has new fenders as produced for the early Pentons.  //[email protected].

As for the number plate, I do not know if there are any of those still around as new.  You can get a new yellow oval plate and cut the bottom to accommodate the headlight.

Tony
Tony