Penton 125 milling head

Started by stevenottinger, October 22, 2014, 01:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevenottinger

Dose anyone know of someone that has a fixture to mill the head off a sachs  125cc? Not much out here in Ca. If you do please give me a number or email for them. Thanks

Steven Ottinger
Steven Ottinger

Dale Fisher

Perhaps JP Morgan in San Fran will reply.  He does mods on a variety of engines and does wonders with Sachs :)

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

3putt

Hi Steven,   I have 2 alloy heads, both have had the gasket surface cut down, and both have 2 plug holes in them.  One is 100cc and has head fins cut for high pipe.  The other is for a 125cc, has had the combustion area modified, and full fin for a down pipe.   I would sell one or both if you have interest and can send you photos.  I need your email address if you care to see them.  My email is 3putt at hky.com      Regards, Nelson McCullough

Dale Fisher

Some have used a thin copper head gasket to achieve the same results without permanently altering the head.  Of course as the squish area becomes tighter it is important to not have a lot of up and down play in your rod bearings.  It's been a while since I've seen the copper gaskets listed for sale.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

stevenottinger

Thanks Dale and 3putt for the info. I have like 10 heads, but what I'm trying to do is get my compression up to 15-1. I did the calculations on it and I need 4.5 cc head, because I raised the exhaust port. I do make my own copper head gaskets, but that is not enough. So I'm on the hunt for some one that has a jig to hold the head made already.
Here is my Email you can send me photos or info. [email protected]

Thanks for your help

Steven Ottinger
Steven Ottinger

Paul Danik

Steven,

Perhaps Jerry Birky at Penton Racing Products could handle the job for you. I know that every time I visit their shop I am amazed at the scope and quality of their work. Their contact info is located in the Suppliers Page of this website.

Reading your post reminded me of the story of Carl Cranke using the asphalt in the parking area where he was staying to slowly remove some material from a cylinder head...:D

Paul

Jim Panzer

Hi guys, back in 1973 I traded in my 1972 125 for a 1973 125 and was amazed at the power difference. While riding it on Al King's land (the Penton dealer) his son Gordy commented that the piston was lightly hitting the head. When I pulled the head you could see the light marks on the head from the piston. If my memory is correct Gordy said that some of the base gaskets were too thin. You were supposed to bolt the cylinder down without the head and use a feeler gage to measure the distance from the top of the piston (at TDC) to the edge of the cylinder liner. This measurement was then used to determine the thickness of the base gasket. For the life of me I cannot remember what the distance was supposed to be. Does anyone recall this or have the cobwebs in my brain finally taken over?

Jim Panzer
Jim Panzer - 211

JP Morgen

I have a fixture that goes on my lathe to machine the Sachs head.
Morgen Machine 415 822-1315

JP Morgen

As far as squish clearance goes, minimum  for a 125 is .030-.040", .8-1mm. I use resin core solder, one piece at front and one at rear outside edges of the piston, with gaskets in place and nuts torqued, turn the engine over once or twice, slowly, take apart and measure with calipers.

Jim Panzer

Jim Panzer - 211