AHRMA North Atlantic Cross Country

Started by Richard Colahan, October 22, 2014, 08:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

The 2014 AHRMA NA Region CC series just wrapped up this past Saturday.
This was my first year at Vintage CC racing, and I have to say this is a great series. A very low-key group...everyone glad to see new-comers to the series. Excellent courses with some great trail. Events are 1 hour plus 1 lap...you get plenty of racing...especially the Ironmen that race both the Vintage and Post Vintage races.
These events are held in NE, Central and W PA, and 2 in S PA and N Md.
The WVA AHRMA National is also included in the schedule.
But we need more Pentons out there!
Winter is the time to get your bike prepped and ready for next year.
Please consider giving this series a try next year.
http://www.ahrma-northatlantic.org/CrossCountry.html

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

JCHubbard

Richard, it was indeed a great event.  Were you riding a 125 (green tank)? If so, I was chasing you on a 83 HUS 430 for awhile -- you rode great!
JC Hubbard

Richard Colahan

Well...I WAS riding a 125...but it was my alloy tank 74 husky 125WR!
But remember even John Penton had some of his best wins on a Husky!

A few more thoughts on this topic (which I've also posted on a vintage Husky forum)...
I'm a 63 year old former Enduro rider...first Enduro was the 68 Delaware State Championship!
I've continued to ride over the years...including riding a modern bike in current Enduros from time to time...but began to feel like I was getting in the way of the fast guys!
I considered vintage racing, but vintage Motocross did not have the appeal...I like riding in the woods!
This CC series fit the bill perfectly. At about an hour + 10 to 15 minutes per race, you get your money's worth!
And it's certainly not just old farts like me...there are many younger folks getting interested in vintage CC.
And most of the bikes that are raced are not high $ re-made specials...many are just well serviced bikes that still show alot of their...patina!
As I mentioned, it's a great group that sincerely makes you feel welcome.

If this sounds good to you...get that vintage Penton, KTM, Husky, or whatever out of the barn...or get on Ebay or Craigslist...and get it prepped this winter for next year.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

tooclose racing

Glad to hear you've discovered this great race series.  Dave Kutskel and his friends do a fantastic job and put on a nice variety of events. And there are some fast amigos in that series!  

His closest event for me (I live in upstate NY near Oswego) is still a five hour drive(Irish Valley) - which I raced this year on my Jackpiner and my MC5.  I had a work schedule/assignment change this year that has kept me a little closer to home (i.e. overnights or 2 days on road not so much an option) so I mostly caught the Northeast Cross Country series this year, which also featured a pretty damn good schedule, with new XC races at Cortland and Allen's Farm (PA). We actually get Canadians showing up at some of our races and we return the favor in kind by trying to go to their Ormstown event in Quebec.

I follow the NA series anyway (to see who's fast in my classes!) and they had some big turn-outs at their last couple of events, one of them approaching 100 riders if my memory serves me?  Heck - that's National territory.

If we haven't met already (oh this aging process...), maybe we'll see each other in 2015, Richard. Ya gotta make it to Unadilla National XC if you haven't been there yet.

Bob Close