Penton Jerseys

Started by rcrump1, July 23, 2002, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrump1

Has anyone reproduced the green Penton Jersey with the crest on the front and "Built for Champions" on the back? This would seem like a pretty easy project if it hasn't been done yet.
Just wondering.
Richard

Jeff Reid

Great idea-I'd buy one

Jeff Reid

Big Bob

I,d be interested in a couple.

OUCWBOY

Would this be legal to do?
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

I have reproduced all the original tank stickers and some of the old stickers like that one you talk of on the jersey.  I never thought about the legalities just trying to fill the needs and the demand.  John has not sued me yet so I guess that is a good sign.

Metro has reproduced the Penton jerseys like the ones Penton Central gave us riders that were shop and regional sponsored from back in "The Day" so maybe it is cool to do others.  

Paul and Doug what do you guys think?  You probably know what John might think on this.  Any legal guys out there?  Is this public domain now?  

If it is cool I can get them done easy as my sticker guy does jerseys and shirts and that logo is on his computer from the stickers I have.

rcrump1

I think it would go a lot easier if we obtained permission or a license from Mr. Penton. However, as the old saying goes, "Its easier to get forgiveness than permission" I can search the U.S. Patent and Trademark records and see if that logo is trademarked. If it was back in the day it may have expired by now. I will report back.
Richard

rcrump1

I did a brief search of the records of the Patent and Trademark Office. The "Penton" trademark as it relates to motorcycles and parts has expired. This may be why nothing has been said about reproduction tank decals. I could not find any information about a trademark on the crest logo. Even if it was not trade-marked, the Pentons would still have certain common law rights in the logo. To maintain the relationship and good will that exists between this group and the Pentons, it seems that the best idea would be to get permission. I think quite a few of us would want one or two of these jerseys if we could get them made.
Just my 2 cents.
Richard

tmc3c

Yeah Man I've been looking for one of those jerseys on e-bay and everywhere else!! I used to wear one back in the 70's.I wore it to school when I wasn't racing,I wore it so much the lettering started to break off.Mine was green with yellow letters,I think that's right,wow 30yrs ago man time fly's.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

Like Larry said earlier, Metro sells Penton jerseys. I don't think they have the crest on them though. Check them out at:

http://www.metroracing.com/

Steve Minor

Doug Wilford

Just trying to help.   The crest is the official family crest that was presented to Johns English heritage, by the King of England.  That is another story.   I think that any reproductions that are made or used for or in relation to the Penton Motorcycle, John would have no objections.   He probably would even like to see or have one when they are available.

Larry Perkins

I would love to hear that story, Doug.  I have called my sticker guy and put this in motion.  He will be making them on the same long sleeve jersey that Metro uses and I will personally see that John gets several from the first run.  This will take several weeks as he stays busy but I will keep all posted.

tmc3c

Hey Larry please get some made solid green like the old days too!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

We are getting them done in Green with Gold letters initially.  That was like the originals I remember.  I would like some input on a color after that run.

rcrump1

Larry;
My very dim recollection was that the printing was done in a yellow color. Could have been gold, but it was definately not a dark gold. Light gold or yellow? Anyone else remember?
Can't wait to get one. I'll really be living in the past. Deja vu all over again.
Richard

Dave Withrow

I have an original dark (royal?) blue jersey with gold sleeves and neck band and blue around the wrists.  I can bring it with me to Honda Hills if anyone wants to get the color scheme.  It was made by Champion.  I wouldn't wear it.....even if I could!  If this jersey deal works out I'd love to find one in black/white to match my 400 Mint.