125 into a Jack Piner

Started by Wardie, December 08, 2014, 06:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wardie

I'm sure hundreds of Penton owners know but I don't.. :) so I'd like to know if I can put a 125 six days motor into a Jack Piner frame? My buddy has several 6 day bikes in various states of disrepair and I can get a 125 reasonable. The Piner had a blown motor that somehow the parts, etc have been lost. My goal is to get the bike ready for VMD and then to the holy grail the ISDT Reunion ride in September.
Larry Ward

chicagojerry

the engine mounts are completely different between the two frames. the sachs engines and ktm engines bolt up differently. anything can be done but its not what i would call any easy swap.    
chicago jerry

Wardie

Thanks Jerry. This is the first time I've dived into a project without knowing all the facts just assumed they'd fit.

Okay looking for a Jack Piner 175 motor...or maybe looking to sell the entire restored frame, tanks and forks :(

tacrac

Not exactly sure but why not put a 250 KTM motor in it. They are easier to obtain I think and I am pretty sure they would fit

Wardie

well it may be easier to find than a 175.

Rain Man

I' m not positive, but the Sachs motor mounts will bolt into a high breather frame I believe 72-73 era JP.
 One good way to get you some good advice is for a guy like me, that's built a few
JP'ees . To give mediocre advice!!
 You will Need that rear motor mount and bolts for sure that the Sachs use. Also the exhaust pipe may need to have mounting  tabs relocated.
 What year is the JP?

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Wardie

Rain Man can U give me a call? 330-502-4197 Larry Ward

Wardie

The Sachs 125 will not bolt into the JP frame. As Jerry noted motor mounts completely different. I even pulled a complete swingarm from a 6 day bike in hopes of using the swing arm/motor mount deal but to no avail. Good exercise..

Splintfemur

I have a black '72 Jackpiner motor-stuck but 95% complete
Came as extra when I bought the bike
Rick
720-987-7394

Wardie

splintfemur...I'm almost afraid to ask how you got that handle :(

I will call you Friday mid morning to discuss motor. My Thanks Larry

Wardie

Rick Thanks for the help! Got agreat deal on a Piner 175! Larry