help me identify my sixdays

Started by Rocketman, December 12, 2014, 05:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocketman

Title from Massachusetts says '73
  I was looking at the model identifier on the home page.  

My serial # starts 209.  Everything I've read searching here say anything made in Sept is a next years model
But... reading the model differences, it says a '73 would have plastic fenders.  mine are metal.  it also says black hubs.  mine are silver.  then it says 1973 has the sidestand attached to the left side swingarm.  I have that.  Is mine a 72, or a early '73 that was so early that it got metal fenders and silver hubs?

confused

72 Six-Days
72 Six-Days

rob w

Having a frame no. 209xxxxx, it probably made the showroom floor in late November or even December. The dealer could write it up as a '73 model, because most new year models are out by then. Same exact thing happened to me when I bought a new '72 model late in the year, and on my sales receipt they wrote it as a '73.
 But I would call a 209xxxx a '72 model. It is still a 'seat breather', and not a 'frame breather' yet. Plastic fenders would not have came out for another 5 months or so. Black hubs would'nt have came out for another 4 or 5 months. Mayby someone changed the swing arm, or possibly the beginning of the different side stand mount, like '73's.

Rocketman

Thanks Rob:  Despite the title, I have always said it was a '72 like in my sig line.

72 Six-Days
72 Six-Days

Dale Sonnenschein

Mine is serial # 302xxxx which is Feb 73 production date. My CT title show's 73 which it should. Mine had after market fenders on it when I got it but I'm sure it had the steel fenders new. I have silver hubs and my stand mounts under the swing arm rather than on the side.

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Keith Meatyard

I have an original 175 JP, of which the MSO states 73, s/n is #302, and the bike had alum fenders, silver hubs, and the kickstand under the swingarm.  It is a non-frame breather.  I also had a #304 (two months later), which had plastic fenders, side of swingarm kickstand, and was a hi-breather.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Rick Bennett

I am looking for information on a couple small details. I have two 125's, one 402 and one 404. The 404 came with a fiberglass RH numberplate but the 402 has the chrome guard and separate plate. Is this right? Both have small tanks and high seats but only the 402 has the chrome trim on the seat. Is this right?

Rocketman

Quotequote:Originally posted by Keith Meatyard

I have an original 175 JP, of which the MSO states 73, s/n is #302, and the bike had alum fenders, silver hubs, and the kickstand under the swingarm.  It is a non-frame breather.  I also had a #304 (two months later), which had plastic fenders, side of swingarm kickstand, and was a hi-breather.

Keith Meatyard

OK, I have the same case as your original JP.  Thanks for the reply

72 Six-Days
72 Six-Days

Rocketman

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dale Sonnenschein

my stand mounts under the swing arm rather than on the side.

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

OK, I might not have understood the swingarm change.  Mine is under the swingarm  not on the side.
as I read it, I thought the previous years had the stand somewhere other than the swingarm  I went back and re-read the list of changes and realized that I have the older style underneath.

72 Six-Days
72 Six-Days

Vince V

Quotequote:
Rick Bennett Posted - 12/13/2014 : 10:13:47 AM
 I am looking for information on a couple small details. I have two 125's, one 402 and one 404. The 404 came with a fiberglass RH numberplate but the 402 has the chrome guard and separate plate. Is this right? Both have small tanks and high seats but only the 402 has the chrome trim on the seat. Is this right?

Rick
I have a 401 and it has fiberglass RH number plate which covers the pipe. Has a small tank and trim on the seat.

Vince

Cal Alexander

I have a 73 Six Day that was made in March of 1973 frame #303XXXX. It came with the high breather frame, newer swing arm mounted side stand, and plastic fenders. I also have a friends Six Day in my shop that was made in January 73 frame number 301XXXX. It has the Standard non high breather frame, under frame mounted  side stand and aluminum fenders.
It appears the change to high breather frame, swing arm mounted side stand and plastic fenders all happened in late February to early March of 73. I have six different 1972 and 1973 Six Days in my shop right now and every one is different. Now how's that for rate of change and innovation!

75 250 MC
73 Cafe MX
72 Six Day (3)
70 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire