NETRA Announces New VINTAGE Racing Series

Started by Gordon Brennan, December 17, 2014, 01:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Brennan

Some of the Vintage riders who belong to NETRA have been working hard to make this series happen. Hope some of you folks are be able to make a few of these events.

http://www.netra.org/netra-announces-new-vintage-racing-series/

Dale Sonnenschein

I saw this the other day on the NETRA site. Most are less than 3 hours from me. I might have to make a few of these. It says saturday vintage races, Is there modern racing on sundays?

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Gordon Brennan

Yes Dale, There is Modern racing on Sunday. The Saturday races are the same day as Pee Wee and Jr. Enduro. But the Vintage race is a stand alone race by itself.
At this point there is no seperation of CC's. Classes are:
"Vintage" (Pre 1976)
"Post Vintage" (Post 1975 bikes with front and rear drum brakes)
"Pre Modern" (Pre 1990)
And there are trophies for each class.

Gordon Brennan

Please take note:

The Steerage Rock Twister: Junior Enduro, Pee Wee and Vintage has been postponed from April 25 to May 23 due to the conflict with the NJ Supercross. Many of this event's workers are attending the Supercross race.

With that change the first round will now be the Nutmeg State Vintage HS on May 9th in Eastford, CT.

Please pass the word and see you at the races!!!!

Gordon Brennan

tooclose racing

Thanks Gordan.

So...you can run a "Historic" in Vintage (1976). Not that a litte more travel made me any faster.

I hope I make a couple of these!

Gordon Brennan

First race of the season is in the books. Had a blast. Raced my 73 Husky in this one. Counting all three vintage classes, there were 28 bikes of all makes, but no Pentons! Come on folks. The next race is this coming weekend, with CATRA, in Fish House, NY. I can't make this one because I have a Trials this weekend. But the racing on Saturday, in the nutmeg state, was a lot of fun, and the netra Vintage crowd is always friendly and helpful.

tooclose racing

Thanks for the report out, Gordan.  I can't make it to Fish House (because of commencement near NYC this weekend), but hopefully the Hoosick, NY round in September.

I'll bring a Penton.

tooclose racing

Just a heads up that I'm going to (try) to attend the Sept. 5th State Line XC in Hoosick, NY.  With a 1 pm start time and 3 hour drive, I think I can set my alarm for about 7 AM that morning. Heck - that's sleeping in!

I'm unable to commit to a longer weekend/distance involved in going to the Reunion Ride that weekend and and thus will miss an opportunity to "follow" Gary Ellis. :)

tooclose racing

I survived NETRA's State Line XC race in Hoosick, NY - that's my final answer. [B)]

Very tough 4 mile track run in very warm conditions, turns out it's the same one moderns were running on Sunday minus 2 miles. Winner finished 4 laps. I didn't. At least two hillclimbs and maybe a downhill that would never have been in an AHRMA race.  The conditions were so dusty that it made traction difficult on these climbs - except for the ROCKS.  They had traction in their own, odd, BIG way.  Did I mention rocks?  One one time - rocks.

I rode the MC175 (2nd race) and committed ultimate sin of stalling bike early in the first lap - at top of a smaller, rocky hillclimb. My eyes just weren't calibrated to find right path thru ROCKS (no siting lap, but that's fine...).  First. To last.  And then some.  Subsequently, my (34mm) Lectron-carbed bike bogged at least once a lap at the most in-opportune time (near top of long hillclimbs...).  This issue is kind of a head-scratcher, aggavated by over-heated clutch trying to prevent situation.  And over-heated body having to re-start the bike.  The bike screams when in the sweet spot of it's powerband and actually made much better power that Unadilla after I leaned up the needle with one full turn inward.  I thought that adjustment would cure this condition also, but..it apparently didn't.  Is the carb body to big for this motor?

When the sweeper bike is right there (these 16 year old kids on 250 XCs that go up the hill like it's pavement) asking you if you are ok as you restart your bike, you know it's a bad day.

The club got a lot of feedback from riders about the course, apparently several of the NETRA Vint XC races have had similar problem trying to find right balance with a couple racers coming to me to actually apologize for the course.  Hilarious.  But it was also kinda funny hearing some of the NETRA racers - old guys - smiling and drinking and saying "great course" with their NE lobster roll accents. These NETRA racers are frickin' tough!  BTW - I can't help but wonder how tough the course would have been if it was damp.  Would it have been easier?? Yea, maybe - but then the ROCKS would have had their say, eh?

Okay- maybe I SHOULD have negotiated to do the Reunion Ride this year, huh?  [8D]

Gordon Brennan

No, NETRA races are not easy. You know you raced a race when you're done. Thing to remember about some of these folks is, NETRA races are all they do. When you race here all the time, you don't know it's any different anywhere else. First time I went to VMD, I was walking the XC loop and checking out the Trials sections. I kept saying to myself. Where's the rocks, roots, boulders and hill climbs? And the rocks that did pierce the surface were spray painted orange!! Unadilla is the same way. I set up a Trials there, and it was hard to find a rock on the property.
I set up a Vintage Trials here in CT every year. One of the NY riders was asking my checkers, what's with all the rocks and hills? I guess we just get used to it and incorporate them in to a course or a section. Not much choice. They're everywhere!
NETRA races aren't easy, but it does make it a little easier knowing you have a lobster roll waiting for you at the end!!