Mainshaft gear spacer question

Started by BrianTaylor, March 20, 2015, 04:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

Rebuilding 2 6b engines from a bunch of parts supplied to me . Normally I would just put back in the same mainshaft gear spacers ( locater 17 )  that came out of the engine . Since I am supplied with a number of spacers ( 17 ) and gears from different engines  my question is Do I start with a specific thickness and make all of them the same  ? ( what thickness  ? ) or do I start with each individual gear as I go and make sure I space so each gear is flush with  each gear of the lay shaft  thks BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

gooddirt

It will tell you in the book of sachs

gooddirt

The first one either 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 to get the gears to be level with the Lay shaft, all others 2.5 that is( mostly ) most of the time.

Kip Kern

There are a few sizes, I use different sizes to match the mainshaft gears to the layshaft gears once assembled into the left case.  Spin them and make sure they mesh nicely.Early engines used 4 of the same size spacers (5 sp) but the 6 speed came with different sizes.  have fun!

Kip Kern

Forgot something, don't forget to install the 1mm shim bevel side in before you install the mainshaft (6 speed/late 5 speed) .8mm and 1.0mm shims bevel side in on the early 5 speed)  Between the left case bearing and mainshaft prior to building the tranny. CIAO

BrianTaylor

Brian Taylor