Penton-newbee with questions

Started by superduke, April 05, 2015, 11:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superduke

Hello all, I am new here and a pretty avid KTM rider of their latest variety. I just came across a 1973 Penton 125 Six Days that I want to restore. I've already completely disassembled the bike and marked everything as best I can for reassembly. I've restored a couple cars in the past so kind of got the idea. However, having never restored a 73 Penton before, I  thought this would be the best place to start and get some questions answered.

First of all, is the bike going to at least be worth what I have in it at the end? I'm guessing it's going to take anywhere from $3500-$4500 to completely restore back to original. Am I on target here? I don't know how long I plan on keeping it so I would like to at least get my investment back when I decide to sell or more would be nice. Yes I've seen the one for $20k on Ebay and realize that he must be smoking something funny...

2nd, what things matter the most? It looks like all 73's had White plastic fenders but I prefer the metal fenders from a 72. Would it matter if I went with the metal fenders on a 73?

Also, it has a headlight and speedo but I prefer the look of the bike without those. Is that a problem? Will it hurt the value too much without them back on the bike?

I'm planning on powder coating the frame instead of paint. Is that an issue for the purist out there?

Since I'm planning on basically going all out on the restoration I'd like to do it in a fashion that makes the bike worth the most in the end.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have several questions as the reassembly process starts...

I'm in Michigan about an Hour north of Detroit if anyone has any local connections for parts or advice.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Daniel P. McEntee

Welcome to the group, and you can't do any better than getting help here from some of the people who were there when it all began!
   The term "restoration" means different things to different people. I do what I call "fix ups" and just try to get a bike that was literally a piece of junk and get it back into running and riding condition and looking as good as I can possibly make it. SAves a lot of money that way. Some try to make sure every nut, bolt and component on a bike is as original as possible. That's kind of hard to do on a Penton unless it came to you as a complete bike. The Penton motorcycle was in almost constant evolution as time went from 1967 to 1977, even in the middle of a model year. If you can get a copy of the book on John Penton's life (available through the group here I believe) that will fill you in on much of the brands history and John's life. Both great stories. Also been made into a feature length movie available here also!
   Pentons generally came into the country as enduro models at first, and when MX began to catch on, and they found success there also, the Enduro kits were removed if it was sold in MX trim. There wasn't any difference in the Enduro or GS model and the MX version until 1976 I think. Again this is explained in the book and in threads in the website archives.
   I build all my bikes as riders and I paint frames. Paint is easier to fix that powder coat. Powder coat sometimes makes some parts not fit as well as if they were painted, but I haven't powder coated a Pento so really can't speak to that. Others may offer better opinions there. As for cost and value, doing you own work as much as possible will obviously save you some money. Building it up as a collector/museum quality piece will cost more. I don't know what the market is in that respect right now, but I know of a local guy who had a VERY nice and near perfect '72 Jackpiner (I think) that asked for and got $4500 from a collector at VMD in Mid-Ohio several years back, so it is possible. I think it's a fair guess that some 125's in very good race trim and looking very nicely done can go in the middle 2000 dollar range from what I have seen on line. It will depend on what you have for a bike to start with, and what you have to outlay for N.O.S. parts, if you can find them. The longer people do this, the less available things become and prices go up. But you can get lucky and be in the right place at the right time for some things. For some, the search and hunt for parts and supplies is as much fun as the rest of it. You may find everything you need right here in the POG Classifieds! Just need to decide right from the start what you want to do. I would say your biggest expense will be the engine (depending on what you have to start with) and the suspension if you plan to ride and race it at all.
   When you get into the project, have a camera ready for pictures and such and post it here! We like looking over people shoulders while they rebuild a bike!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
   '70 Penton Berkshire
   '72 Penton Six Days
   '73 Penton Jackpiner
   '73 Penton Harescrambler
   '74 1/2 Penton Harescrambler (in process)
   '75 Penton 400
   '77 Penton MC-5/GS 400
   (And some Huskies, Hercules, Hodakas, and a Can-Am or two)

Daniel Desranleau

Might be better to keep the lights on.

If you do decide to sell the speedo and lights I might be interested.

Thanks,
Dan.  
[email protected]

thrownchain

You are for all accounts not going to make money restoring most any bike. Best you can hope for is to break even on the parts end of it. Throw your time in for free cause you wont make it back. Rule # 1 is don't keep track of what you spend, you will question the sanity of doing it at all. If you enjoy doing it for the love of doing it, then feel free to give it a shot.

superduke

Thanks for the input. I know I'll never get my time back but that's okay. I just don't want to spend $4k and have it be worth $2k when I'm done. I'm planning on a very nice resto job so I'm not too worried about the value being that low. It is literally completely disassembled as of today. I'm gonna get the frame and motor done and then take it slow from there. Probably finish it up through next winter.

Any suggestions for rear shocks?

454MRW

An Enduro with the original lights, speedo, tool bag, Etc. will bring almost 1/3 more than a MX bike, so if you are wanting to get the most when it is finished you are better off building it that way. Also you would cater to a larger audience of potential buyers, since they can always remove the extra items. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

superduke

Ok, so if restored to a 9-10. 10 being best and going back the way it was with headlight and speedo, what's the best case scenerio of value? Am I looking anywhere near $5k-$6k or will I be lucky to pull $3k-$4k?

454MRW

It all depends on your area and who's looking. Personally I think 3 to 4 is high expectations, but there have been, and always will be exceptions. It all depends who wants it and what they intend to do with it, being an accurate museum piece, or a bike to become a coffee table conversation piece, or to be ridden. Steel Tankers are usually the high mark of resale if done correctly. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

superduke

Well I think I'm going to take the plunge and get cracking on this thing. I think it will be a very cool conversation piece with an occasional ride up the street when finished. I'm restoring it to a very high standard. If I'm going to do it, I'm doing it right. Whatever it's worth is whatever it's worth...

One of the things I need to make a decision on is which rear shocks to use. Everything else is just being restored back to original but the rear shocks are trashed and not rebuildable. Any suggestions for something reasonably priced for a bike that will see seldom to no use. I just want something that is as close to stock as possible. It looks like most or all come with springs but I could sand blast and paint the old springs if necessary.

Is there a go to guy that most of you use for parts?

I have a local guy to do the motor and will do most of the other work myself. I do need several parts though...

Thanks for the help!

Daniel P. McEntee

Go to the home page and find the vendors section. Al Buehner has some shocks that if I'm remembering correctly are more for show than go. The shocks that came came stock on the bike could vary depending on what was available at the time, so no real right or wrong there. I'm sure some one will have a set of old Ceriani shocks that could be refurbished for your purposes. Progressive Suspension has a vintage looking shock also and is billed that way on their web site. Between the vendors listed in the vendor section, and eBay, I have been able to find everything I need, except spare time!
  Good luck and have fun,
  Dan McEntee