Buck Murphy

Started by jeff greenberg, January 01, 2016, 12:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff greenberg

There is a real nice memorial piece in Racer X (on line) today on Buck. "The lives they lived".  Davey Coombs does this every year. Outstanding !
Happy New Year....
Jeff

tooclose racing

Thanks Jeff.  

I posted a link on the POG facebook page to a wonderful Buck Murphy memorial short film.  This man was clearly loved and admired by his northwest family.

1974 was his BIG Penton year, finishing 2nd in the LA Supercross amongst other things according to an earlier Racer X article.  The current Racer X article mentions that he finished 2nd to Karsmaker at Daytona and actually won a moto at the Houston Supercross. Probably a little fact-checking in order here...

The next year (I think...) he move to Can-Am with a full factory ride.

I'd love to know more about his relationship with Lorain Ohio and Penton Imports if someone has any insights. Racer X says that he was a privateer.

JP Morgen

I was a Buck Murphy fan way back because he rode a Penton! In 1973, Buck won a moto at the season ending Saddleback Park Trans AMA in the 250 support class on a yellow tanker, possibly the first win at the professional level in the US on a Penton! I was lucky enough to meet Buck at some vintage events, great guy, will miss him. He always had great stories, met the president of KTM, rode the first Can Am 400 prototype when he was a team rider..

Paul Danik

Here are a few neat pictures and some interesting information.

http://www.classiccanam.com/canam4.htm

Nice interview with Buck, click the link and scroll down.

http://www.soloshawn.com/buck-murphy.html

Paul

tooclose racing

I'm going to try and post a link to the Buck Murphy video for those of you who do not "do" Facebook (I salute you btw...:)).

Contacted gentleman that posted it.

Thanks for the links above, Paul Danik.  Will we see you at York PA?

Gordon Brennan

What a great interview! Thanks for posting the links. I'm a big fan of Can Am's. tooclose, I hope you are able to find that video. I'd love to see it, but don't do the facebook thing.