Preston Petty Fenders

Started by Dale Fisher, January 09, 2016, 07:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Larry P I hope that Mike and I have answered your question about why we did not make the MX rear fender. If you need to speak to me I am happy to discuss any of this with you over the phone 802-375-2665 is the Preston Petty Products phone number. Call me we can talk about this.I will be gone Friday to head to the York show.

Ted the majority of the tools were lost. Some are still out there in the possession of some folks that like to have a part of history. I do not blame them at all. So we have to start from scratch. It is a process but so is life. Fun doing this with Mike and with Preston.
It is very cool to be working with Preston!
Paul

[email protected]

Larry Ward,
Thank you for the privilege to talk to you on air last night about Preston Petty Products!! It is always an honor to speak with you and especially to be on your show.
See you in a couple days!
Thanks
Paul

Larry Perkins

Very cool Mike and Paul.  I love that fender for many mx restorations.  Paul, I am going to give you a call. Looks like I am going to be in the Hodaka camp next season as I have the opportunity to race a VERY mean 100 that I call a Super Combat Rat. I have lost 23 pounds of the 40 I want to lose to get to lean race weight. Just wanted some advice and pick your brain. Look forward to getting to see both you guys in person again.

Larry P

[email protected]

Great Larry.Mike and I look forward to seeing at the York event this weekend! I would love to see you having some fun with the Hodaka. Let's talk about it this Sunday.
Just received word the fenders have just arrived to the warehouse near York.Really exciting stuff.

Larry Perkins

Paul, I won't be at York. Too far and have to work. Live in Illinois. Will give a call real soon though.

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

Mike:

Just out of curiosity, what ever happened to all the original tooling?

Ted

I started working in the injection molding business early last year and have some insight. Injection molding tools are not indestructible. The tend to take quite a bit of abuse during the molding process and do eventually wear out. The tool you see in the video is brand new, but I think most would be surprised to see what it looks like in a years time after who knows how many heat cycles. Won't exactly be ready for the scrap pile but will have some "patina." After the tens years worth of production the first time around, they might have been pretty tired.
   The same question, "what happened to the original tooling" gets asked quite a bit in reference to vintage model airplane engines. Before World War Two, there were quite a high number of models airplane engine manufacturers. As engine collecting grew in later years and running them in vintage model airplanes became common, the question was asked a lot. An answer I read in a book was that as some of these companies went out of business, the tooling had to be destroyed also to make it a complete dissolving of the business. In other words, if the tooling exists, the business still exists and taxes must be paid on the asset. So to avoid that, all tooling was scrapped. I don't know if this was the case with the first go around of Preston Petty Products, but is a possibility.
   Glad to the the name revived though! Looking forward to see the products in person.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee