Restoring 1969 V1482

Started by cbridgewater, January 25, 2016, 11:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbridgewater

What's the best way to refinish the crank covers, cylinder, cylinder head, etc.? Bead blast? Paint?

It's a 69 iron bore if that helps.

gooddirt

I thought you needed a pipe.

cbridgewater

I did, found one with Vintage Iron. I need to update that post.

Cal Alexander

I use Vapor Blasting to refurbish Aluminum engine cases, covers, carbs and wheel hubs that are heavily corroded or stained. I learned about Vapor Blasting from one of our POG members about two years ago. It is used very routinely in Europe for reconditioning aluminum but not so much here in the U.S. You will find Vapor Blast Solutions in Santa Fe, New Mexico on the web for pictures and more information. Dan Vitaletti is the owner, he restores motorcycles and is very reasonably priced. You can reach Dan directly at 505-946-7097.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

cbridgewater

Will the vapor blast be fine with the cast iron cylinder?

Paul Danik

Interesting website, be sure to browse around.

http://www.vaporblastsolutions.com/home.html

Cal, thank you for sharing your valuable resource and information.

Paul

gooddirt

Just bead or fine sand .. all but the head is repainted  no need to VB..

t20sl

Paul:
Interesting site about vapor blasting.  I find it baffling that he claims no erosion to base metal.  Vapor blasting is done using a liquid and glass beads or similar fine abrasive.  If a fine abrasive is used then there is erosion of the base metal.  He even mentions that it will blend welds.  Bead blasting with a extra fine bead or baking soda etc..does exactly same quality of finish with much less expensive equipment for the average person.  Just my opinion.
Ted