Looking for help on a Sachs project...

Started by BatGTS, February 01, 2016, 12:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BatGTS

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum (recommended to me by a friend), but I'm hoping the Sachs experts out there can help me out in this non-Penton related project.

I recently got a small Dutch motorcycle (1976 Batavus / Starflite GTS) that features a Sachs 50S (49cc) engine.  This engine was sold in Europe for a number of years and had a few different generations that came on KTM's (Comet), DKW, Hercules, Batavus and a few others.  It puts out 6.25hp, has a 5 speed transmission and uses a Bing 1/19 carb.

Here's the bike:

And the engine:

Anyway, my bike had been sitting outside for a number of years before I bought it (Ugh!)and now I'm digging into it.  

The motor on my bike isn't turning over and judging by the gunk / moisture I found under the engine side covers, I'm pretty certain it's a bearing issue in the bottom end.  I took the cylinder / head off and all is ok there.

I'm hoping that there are some Sachs "aces" on this list that may be able to help me with this one.  As you can tell, the engine looks close to the larger ones and I believe the 80cc engine may be very similar to this 50cc model.  I'm hoping most of the tools cross over as well.  

The good news is that between pentonpartsusa and a few sources in Europe, I can get all bearings and gaskets.  I've also got a workshop manual coming from Holland.

So...I know it's a big favor to ask, but has anyone seen this engine before or know someone that may be able to help with tear down / rebuild?  I heard there may be a shop in California with some knowledge, but don't have a contact.

Thanks in advance...

thrownchain

BatGTS

I'm in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.
Thanks!

thrownchain

If you can get the parts, I can do the work.

Gary Roach

James Giddings works on all of our Sachs motors, and he has all of the Sachs tools. His number is 740-989-0623.

Leo Keller

Quotequote:Originally posted by BatGTS

.....  I've also got a workshop manual coming from Holland.

Does the manual include the parts list? If not I could help with a pdf copy.

Leo Keller

btw: I found a spare parts list here: http://home.arcor.de/wawa5/parts50s/frame_r50s.htm
The text is in German but you can find most of the dimensions of bolts, shims and bearings in millimeter

BatGTS

Thanks, Leo.
I didn't see this message until now.  Does anyone know if this forum will alert you if someone replies to your thread?  Some of the others I use have that, but haven't seen how to do that on this one.

I appreciate the link to the Wawa the Duck site.  I've been using that one for a while and have been translating most of it to make my parts list.   Some of it is a little confusing because it lists a few options for the same part.  

The good news is that Al (pentonparts) has a lot of the bearings and seals plus clutch parts (same as some of the larger Sachs engines) and the rest including pistons / connecting rods are available from Germany.  I have contact with the owner of mopedparts.de and he's been very helpful.  

Gary R also pointed out that the 2nd generation of this engine (50S) did make it into this country on the Coleman / Attex mini-bikes from the same 70's era.   While it's not 100% the same as mine (3rd gen with the alu / chrome cylinder), it's very similar.  Good to know there's some of those floating around.

Next...does anyone know a good source for 36 spoke 17" x 1.5" wheel rims? I've got a few sources overseas (shipping will be a bear!), but only found one place here in the US and they're 5X the price.  Seems to be a strange size although I know that some Honda's had them as well.

My 70 CT-90 Honda has a 3:00x17 tire and a 17" x1.40 rim. I get my parts from { dratv.com }  Also I use there kickstarter rubbers on my Sachs bike. Real close, hit the end on a grinder, $2.50 ea.  Dave