MC5 pipe in GS6 clearance issues

Started by Bull Gear, February 17, 2016, 10:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bull Gear

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I'm itching to finish this bike so I can ride it... '77 GS6 with what I believe to be an MC5 pipe. The pipe bolts right in but apparently has some clearance issues. After installing the pipe I notice that it is pressing against my new (and expensive) airbox to carb boot and also the throttle cable for the Lectron carb is laying against it even though I already clocked the carb a little.
Was the MC5 pipe that much fatter than the stock GS6 pipe?
If so, what was different about the MC5 that it didn't have these clearance issues?
I'm not sure how to address this. For now, I slid a piece of fire hose in there, but that is temporary at best. Anybody ever run in to this issue and come up with a good solution?
Also, a somewhat unrelated question, what is supposed to hold the plastic cover on the magnesium airbox?

Kip Kern

2 totally different frames is why the pipe trouble, 77 GS was a "one off" frame.  a rubber strap holds the cover on the air box, I made mine from inner tubes and stretched it around.  Shown in the parts manual.  Good luck!

G Ellis

To the rear of the pipe. There should be a rubber pipe mount,not metal to metal as it is now. This will take care of your problem.

G Ellis

This pipe is correct for this GS6. I welded one up for Dane years ago. I have a GS6 175 that came with this same pipe. Hope this helps.

Bull Gear

Thanks for the replies.
The rubber mounts are in place front and rear, just not apparent from the picture.
Good to know it's the original pipe. I just assumed it was not since a lot of the pics I found had really long silencers. Maybe they were the big motor bikes.
Still makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong.

G Ellis

Let me know if you ever want to sell this pipe.

rpage11

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

2 totally different frames is why the pipe trouble, 77 GS was a "one off" frame.  a rubber strap holds the cover on the air box, I made mine from inner tubes and stretched it around.  Shown in the parts manual.  Good luck!

I think this is the rubber strap that Kip is talking about.  I just put this together today.  Also the air box to frame connection that was in another post.  Al B sent an extra hose clamp with a parts order that had me scratching my head.  Thanks Al

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
//www.robertpagearchitect.com
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

SouthRider

This is typical of KTM engine Penton's. Everything is TIGHT. Switched to Husky in 78 cause they were so easy to work on and maintain.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

Bull Gear

Thanks for the pic of the airbox. I was getting ready to ask for one. So, the strap holding the lid on just wraps all the way around the airbox? I was looking for attaching points and couldn't find any.

rpage11

Quotequote:Originally posted by Bull Gear

Thanks for the pic of the airbox. I was getting ready to ask for one. So, the strap holding the lid on just wraps all the way around the airbox? I was looking for attaching points and couldn't find any.

That's the way I did it, but it might be tough to get it wrapped around once the motor, carb, etc are all in place.  I'll let you know how it works.

Here's a photo Rob W posted showing an all original gs6

I've seen other set ups too.  In AZ we're redoing rubber every 6 months,so I usually try simple and an easy way to replace.

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
//www.robertpagearchitect.com
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ

rpage11

Sorry for highjacking your post.  I just wanted to thank Mike and Rob for all the photos they post on this forum.  I think I could put a bike back together using them.

I originally thought the inner tube was cut and laced through the frame bracket in the previous photo and that's why I wrapped the inner tube around the entire air box.  I looked at it again a bit closer and realized the inner tube was wrapped around the bolt and a wire wrap was used to hold the rubber inner fender to the frame.

This is a lot easier way to hold the cover on and the inner tube doesn't get lost when you service the filter.  Thanks again for the photos.

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ