How can i test the stator or coil ? No spark

Started by russbrumit, February 19, 2016, 07:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

russbrumit

Can anyone help me with a intermittent spark problem? 73 jackpiner 175. I had a good spark (looked good i thought),but now its gone Is it hard to test the stator and the coil ?

russbrumit

These wires were apart under the tank. I'm guessing for the lights ?

russbrumit

Anyone know what the small terminal on the coil is for ? MY book doesn't show it ? Thanks in advance for any help. i need it . lol

KJDonovan

Russ,

The blue wire you have there should be running from the stator, to the coil and to your kill switch.  Make sure it does not have a bare spot on it that is grounding out. Also tape of the ends of the yellow, green and white wires.  One other thing, remove any paint from the tab on the frame that the coil attaches to.  If this is not grounded well you will lose spark.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

russbrumit

Thanks Kevin, Do you know anything about the terminal above the black wire ? should there be anything there ?

KJDonovan

Russ,

If you are referring to the terminal block, that's what used as a distribution panel for supplying power from the white, green and yellow wires to your lighting.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

russbrumit

No , I'm referring to the spade terminal on the coil. Right above the black wire there is a small spade terminal with nothing connected  to it.

Andreas Piepke

Russ,

From your other post it appears that your bike is a GS, it has a tail light. If so you will have to connect the other wires appropriately to the switch on the handle bar. Otherwise you can't turn the light on and off. There will also have to be a wire bringing power to the break light switch and then from there to the break light.
I have a 1973 Hare Scrambler, model year 1974 and just worked on the wiring. Have a look at a photo I took last November (you'll have to zoom in to see the wiring details of the coil):

My coil doesn't have the little connector yours shows. However, the two blue cables, connecting to the stator power and the kill switch seem to be just below the plug cable. Any chance you've switched the black and blue wires (the connectors do have different size though)? You also might just have a different coil. The next picture shows a photo of my coil:

I would check for electrical continuity, good grounding, the spark plug connector, and he spark plug. I had my stator and coil tested by Penton Racing Products (Jerry Birky). He also re-magnetized the magnet.

Good luck sorting this out!

Andreas
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

KJDonovan

Russ,

Now I see it :D I believe that very small spade is for a tachometer. Guessing this motoplat originally came on some other brand, because I never saw a tach on a Penton.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

russbrumit

Thanks guys,this bike has a tailight but the wires are cut.I guess that's why the wires under the tank were taped up.
 I might have to send the parts to that guy and have them tested/rebuilt or replaced .

Mike Lenz

That is a new style black lead top coil.  Are you using a new style bottom unit also?  With the red wire connection covers I believe you should be using a red spark plug wire top coil.  Ask Penton Racing Products if it makes a difference.

G Ellis

You can't run that coil with the red leads. You need a red wired coil, that is why you have no spark.

russbrumit

Ok. Now I'm really confused. Would anybody be willing to help me via- phone ? I would really appreciate the help and will pay it forward for sure. 443-907-7455 thanks Russ

russbrumit

Does anyone have a red wired coil for sale ? I'm really struggling here .lol

Paul Danik

Russ,

If you don't come up with one let me know, I should be able to provide one.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Paul