Title question

Started by Rick Bennett, March 04, 2016, 03:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

Guys
If you have a title marked off road only, is it possible to get it changed after adding an enduro kit? Anyone ever try to do this?
Rick

Richard Colahan

Rick...
Many off-road riders get a Vermont tag...I know it can be done but I sure can't find the procedure.
Look through this web site:
http://dmv.vermont.gov/

Getting your Title changed may be very difficult depending on your state regs.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Gary Roach

It varies from State to State. Here in Ohio, you have to have the bike inspected, and if it passes, you'll be given the proper paperwork to take to the DMV so that the title can be changed, and then you can apply for plates. Some inspectors can be picky, but they're just doing their job. Little things like non-DOT approved tires could fail your inspection.

derek martin

I've navigated getting titles for both a converted modern dirt bike ( with title marked "not eligible for registration") and also a  Penton in Illinois.
First the modern dirt bike:
I bought a new 2008 Kawasaki KLX450R and received title listing it as not eligible for registration. I installed a Baja Designs dual purpose kit and also added to the kit a front brake pressure switch as both brakes must actuate the brake light in Illinois. I'll give the end result of the procedural discovery process to shorten this post - I took the bike to nearest Illinois Secretary of State vehicle inspection station after making an appointment and the professional and courteous staff there inspected my bike for compliance and issued a new corrected title enabling registration and licensing. On the way home from the inspection station I stopped by a regular Secretary of State office and bought a license plate after showing my corrected title.
For the Penton:
To ride the 2013 ISDTRR the bikes had to be street legal. I was on a mission to attend this event so I had to get a legal plate on my 74.5 250. All I had for the Penton was a bill of sale. I tried the Vermont title method often discussed as being a route to getting a title in other states but this did not work in Illinois causing a waste of about $300 if I remember correctly. My local Secretary of State office called main Springfield office when I attempted to transfer the Vermont paperwork as they had never experienced an Illinois resident getting a Vermont vehicle owned in Illinois by an Illinois resident transferred to Illinois. Springfield said they had never heard of such a thing either which ended this attempt. Again to shorten the post - the only method I could discover in Illinois to obtain title in this situation was to obtain a bonded title. A google search can give the detail for Illinois. Other States will probably differ.

Derek I have used the bonded title a few times, about $100 in the past, after a year you got a real title. Also some of my old titles just cost $6.oo. Ben a while. Could you send me your address at ( [email protected] ) Thanks, Dave

cageyar

Again with the caveat that state laws vary;
In NJ, there is such a thing called a non-title registration. It is intended for limited use where the NJMVD will issue a registration & a plate. In the case where the vehicle is new, the manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO) may say For Off-Road Use Only & this is where the non-title registration takes effect - NJ won't issue a title  but they will register the vehicle. There really is no over-site on how the vehicle is operated and combined with the fact we have no motorcycle inspection in NJ, you can effectively register & operate an off-road vehicle on the road in NJ.
If you already have a title that may be marked for off-road, going to the NJMDV office near closing time, over-site at the counter seems to be "facilitated". It's worked for me & others in the past.

'10 KTM RC8R Akrapovic LE #21
'07 BMW R1200S Wossner
'77 Penton GS6 400
'10 KTM RC8R Akrapovic LE #21
'07 BMW R1200S Wossner
'03 Aprilia Tuono Racing #77
'82 Honda CBX
'81 Husqvarna 430CR
'75 Kawasaki H2
'69 Kawasaki H1
TEXT: 73dos-42ate-13zed8

derek martin

brian kirby

Derek,

I ran into the same problem in Florida with the Vermont transfer, but kept forcing the issue up the chain of command and finally got to someone who thought to look up the Vermont regulations. Once that was done, they had no option but to, grudgingly, allow the transfer. DMV drones to NOT like anything out of the ordinary and they are programmed to balk if they find anything other than the routine. California is bad about it also, but the fact is, no state can deny a legal and legitimate title transfer from another state, it is against Federal law to do so. The local people will not want to do it and depending on the person they will make it as difficult as possible but they can not deny it in the end.

Brian
Brian

marsattacks

Hi Rick lots of good advice.  in PA it is easy via Vt or (used to be) LA and then if you antique it there is no annual registration or inspection but then there are limits on when and how often you ride it.  No need for them signals or anything not original equipment.  You might find it to be better to use a good title device transfer agent in your state if they are allowed.  They are way better at one-offs in my experience than state govs.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Richard Colahan

Regarding the VT method...
I might be wrong on this...as I mentioned I could not find the form on the VT DMV web site...
But I think the VT method only gets you a VT tag and registration card...not a VT Title.
And if I remember correctly, I think they had a bike engine size limit they were willing to do this for...perhaps 400cc?
Again...I may have all of this wrong...

And remember Rick...and others...you WON'T need a tag or lights to enter the Mountaineer Vintage Enduro coming up on 7/23 at McKee's!!!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

marsattacks

As I recall VT doesn't title bikes of that vintage -- so you take the reg papers to pa and pa titles it based on the reg papers.  That's the workaround.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

brian kirby

Yes, and that is what the Florida DMV people originally balked at. I told them VT did not issue titles but they said that cant be possible. I would not leave until they got a supervisor. That person also did not want to honor the registration and I asked for that person's supervisor. That person knew that some states did not issue titles and looked it up. That resolved the issue and, very very grudgingly, the counter person processed my transfer. Even after I proved I was correct, they still did not want to process my transfer but they had no choice.

Brian
Brian

marsattacks

As you know, but maybe others don't, the Constitution has something to say about it--

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

derek martin

Brian - the local Illinois Secretary of State office supervisor called her supervisor in the state capital furthering the level of denial. If memory serves they did look up something to do with the Vermont paperwork I supplied them - I' m getting a little foggy on the details as it's been three years ago. As it turned out the state went ahead and mailed me a license plate very quickly well in advance of receiving title and also in plenty of time to plan the  2013 ISDTRR trip. This would not have been the typical process but I believe the office considered my situation (needing the plate for a special event) which I explained during my visit and in a cover letter submitted with the bonded title application. I would have to dig up the paperwork to absolutely confirm but I believe the moneys spent in the bonded title process were less than the fees associated with obtaining the Vermont paperwork.
I did get an antique plate which is much cheaper and is good for several years.

t20sl

Rick:  Did you get my PM email answering your question for Ohio title?