alloy rim mystery

Started by Rich Fredette, April 06, 2016, 03:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Fredette

I have an aluminum 21 and a steel 18 on my 72JP, chromed steel was stock according to specs, stock working hub with speedo, 21 must be a later model replacement --- is it a Sun?, no markings evident. Was the finish on it polished or did they chrome aluminum too?
\\\'72 Jackpiner - 175: 7-20555153
\\\'14 Newfoundland - Keira 54kg

thrownchain

Sun rims should say Sun on them somewhere. Is it a shouldered or non shouldered? Is it a dimpled or non dimpled rim? I don't believe anyone would chrome an Aluminum rim, although it can be done. New could be polished or anodized.

Rich Fredette

unshouldered? the inside has machined angle cuts all around for bead grip. Will I regret disassembling to polish rim/hub and paint spokes? Get it back together, spoked up and then go pro for balancing?

thrownchain

You might unless you've done it before. Not hard but tedious. I would recommend new spoke nipples. Can be had from Buchanan's. Balance after the tire is on....

gooddirt

Not a Sun ... product of japan, early excell.. I have a lot of front rims in fair to good chrome..

Rich Fredette

Could be... got the bike in 79, a teen left dismantled at dealer service (Razee), didn't want to pay his bill. Maybe try to find a similar for rear seeing the steel needs rechrome. Wish parts were cheaper than Porsche prices.

Mike Lenz

The 72 175 had steel rims that were dished out a little.  Not flat on top.  I had a set that had some rust down in the groove.  I just sanded the rust out and poured a small amount of "chrome" spray paint in the channel and slowly spun the wheel til I put in enough that it covered the groove uniformly.  From a few feet back u cant even tell.  VW , not Porsche fix.

Rich Fredette

Yup. Rear is stock and has a channel on each side that holds moisture and rusts. 44 years...should have bought the extended extended extended used beater warranty!

Keith Meatyard

Rich, the original rims on the 72 73 Jackpiners were chrome Radaelli, which have raised edges for strength as opposed to the flat chromed rims that were used earlier on steel tankers.  The correct chrome rim will also have "Radaelli Made in Italy" stamped on one side of the raised center where the nipples protrude from.  Someone has put the aluminum rim on the bike.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Rich Fredette

Found a supplier out of Italy that uses original stamping/forming/tooling, sold as Radaelli...unfortunately they no longer have rights to stamp name into product, so technically clones? Look very nice and under $250/set shipped to states.

72 Jackpiner 175
120lb Keira the Newfie

thrownchain

Try Waldridge motors in Canada.

gooddirt

Yes its easy if you buy parts new.... then spokes tires tubes lacing shipping now bead blast the hubs and polish, make sure the brake liner is good; maybe some new brake shoes too.....$700- 800. Whip out the steel wool and mothers polish..[:0]

Rich Fredette

This product is simply amazing on aluminum, chrome, even plain steel, with or without power buff - not affiliated in any way, just two thumbs up rating.

'72 Jackpiner - 175: 7-20555153
'14 Newfoundland - Keira 54kg