77 enduro/mx questions

Started by Frank, August 27, 2002, 06:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Greetings from a new member. I just got my first Penton and have begun restoration. I have a few questions.
Do I need to bore out the old swing arm bushings to remove them?
My bike is an enduro (frame breather) is there any engine tuning differences to the MX?
Is the Lectron carb stock?
Is there a smaller fuel tank available?
What is the stock length shock?
Are stock fenders still available?
Thanks so much, many more later..

john durrill

Frank,
 try the parts section on the home page for info and parts. Lectrons came stock on some pentons but someone else would have to tell you if its stock on a 77 250. there are smaller MX style tanks around. Try the guys that are listed in the parts section first then ebay or one of the inter- net message boards for one.
 you can get repo fenders and works performance or progressive can supply you with shocks. as for length ask Larry or Al  what came stock on a 77.
 The swing arm bushings can be pressed out usually. do you have needle bearings on the swing arm? Run a search on posts here on POG and you can see what folks have done to get the old bearings out and new ones in.
John

Frank

Thanks John, This message board has already been a huge asset, This would take years without all the information available here. Thanks to everyone!  Frank

Dr.2Stroke

I can supply the repro fenders and sidecovers for your bike. also new seat covers and tons of used parts like  small MC gas tanks and also new engine parts(pistons,bearings etc). Dr.2Stroke

Frank

Thanks Doc, I drained about a quart of "milk" looking stuff from the crank box so I am sure bearings and seals are needed. My motor guy is pulling it apart this week for a full damage report. I will place an order for parts when the machine begins to take on a more "vertical" stature. Thanks F

tofriedel

Frank,

I believe that all 77 GS6 Penton/KTM's came with Lectrons.  Penton started using them in 76.  Not sure about the MC5's, they may have had Bings.

Tony

Tony

Steve Minor

My 1977 400gs6 came from the factory with a Bing...

Steve Minor

Mike Lenz

Im not sure the mc-5 tank will fit the 77 gs6. There was a tank avib for the 77 gs6 that was not much bigger than the mc-5 tank however. The shocks were 13.5 I believe.

Mike Lenz

dr 2STROKE, WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN 76/77 MC-5 SIDE PANELS? aLL i HAVE TO USE ARE THE WHITE FAULK ONES THAT I AM NOT FOND OF. I WISH I COULD LOCATE A PAIR OF ALUM. ONES LIKE I USED TO HAVE!

Mike Lenz

BY the way I have some near perfect 77 gs6 side panels and some non injured 78 mc-5 panels and a few other body items if anyone has some nice 76-77 mc-5 panels they want to trade??

Rocket

Mike
I would be interested in the 77 GS6 panels.  What do you want for them?  If you want, give me a phone number and I will give you a call tomorrow during the day.
Rocket

Mike Lenz

Find me some nice mc-5 panels and you have a deal! Seriously its my belief I need to hold onto the nice items I have to have much of a chance of scoring the items I need by trading. Once I get to the point where I have what i need I will offer items like those on this site.

Frank

Unfortunatly the only "nice" part of my GS6 is the air box. Everything is bent/broken/rusted/seized. I just got the engine cases back and the crank is stuck in the clutch side. I blasted the right side cases and found holes corroded all the way through. Fortunatly the gears/shift parts look good but I am pretty sure the crank will need reworking. This bike is a disaster but one part at a time and things will take shape soner or later..

tmc3c

Check out e-bay today,right side panel for 77 and the guy says it has hair line crack's  so its got to be fiberglass.The right side is there also but it is made by hoss and is plastic.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler