One of the nicest 1978 KTM 400s on the planet

Started by clayman, December 20, 2016, 08:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clayman

My friend John Raleigh in Michigan (and LG's friend,too)has one of the nicest 1978 KTM 400s on the planet. It has very few hours on it since new. It sat in a KTM dealership for many, many years before John bought it. John is wanting to sell it, but it won't be cheap, of course. It is sitting in John's shop now, but he would like to see the machine go to a new home where it can be appreciated and viewed.

He recently spoke with Al Buehner about the machine and its value, comparing it to a restored one that sold on eBay for a large chunk of change, agreeing that this one would be worth more than a restored 400 since it's in such amazing original condition and is "museum-worthy," as he calls it.

I am only posting this for John and have nothing to do with the sale, other than helping to get the word out. John will be trying to get photos from his camera to his computer, soon, and can be reached in the meantime at 517-944-4183. Serious inquiries only, please.

Larry Perkins

It is often hard to get big dollars out of 78s other than collectors. As a racer they are Grand Prix class bikes which goes up to the 1981 KTM which is far superior.  So the main big dollar market is the collector person.  Out of curiosity what is not cheap?  A dollar amount might draw more interest.

Larry P

clayman

Hi Larry! How are you doing? Hope all is well with you. I believe he's thinking over $5K, but can't say for sure, that's why I listed his phone number because I really don't know. Have a Merry Christmas!

marsattacks

There was a 78 400 (MC not GS) still in the dealer crate with hang tags that was on eBay about four year ago.  Can't remember what it went for.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

clayman

Update: :)John says price for the KTM 400 is $4500 or partial trade for the right bike. This KTM needs to go to a good home where it will be viewed and appreciated.

firstturn

Ron Carbaugh

clayman

Hi Ron, a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you! John just texted me and said the KTM is an MC. He's a retired military serviceman and lives in Michigan, surviving on limited funds, so he's hoping someone will buy the KTM, but will entertain a partial trade and cash deal. Happy MLK Day!

Clay

jon

Dale Fisher

Location?  Does he need help with taking/posting photos??  He's a little over an hour away from my location assuming Charlotte....

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Larry Perkins

Give Pelican Guano Motorsports Museum a call if it is museum quality.  They might be a player.  It will need to be someone special to gather those dollars.  They will want pics.

Larry P