Mikuni Size for 250

Started by Mick Milakovic, December 21, 2016, 03:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All,
I'm going to go buy a new Mikuni for my Harscrambler.  The 36 and 38mm carbs have the same size OD for the spigot mount (43mm) and intake bell (62mm).  Which carb  fits and will work better?  The bike is just ridden in enduros and Reunion Rides.  Thanks in advance,

Mick
Mick

brian kirby

I thought you already had a 34mm on it? If you want to go to a bigger size I would say 36mm but I thought you were pretty happy with the 34mm.

Brian
Brian

Mick Milakovic

Brian, I was happy until the McKees' enduro last summer.  The bike really ran out of power in the upper altitudes because of a lack of air, I think.  And if you remember, it was hard starting the second day of the Reunion Ride and I've been wondering if it just needs a bigger carb.  It does run well, though.

Mick
Mick

Larry Perkins

The bike came with a 36mm Bing which is the equivelant to a 38mm Mikuni flow wise. It probably is starving with a 34mm Mikuni.

Larry P

JP Morgen

Have you done the "standard" porting specs from the old days, make a huge difference!

Kip Kern

skiracer

I agree with Larry.  The 34mm is too small for a 250.  I have had a 36 Mikuni on my 250 and it ran well.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Mick Milakovic

A 36 will be my first try.  If it's still too small I have other bikes I can use icon.  Thanks all, I'll post results.

Mick
Mick