Steel Tanker Project

Started by Paul Scanlin, January 29, 2017, 06:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Scanlin

Hello POG members
I have recently acquired 125cc six days Frame SN V434. I would like to restore this with the intention of showing it. Of course there are challenges to get to the goal.
Paints needed to do frame and tank.
Seat needs new cover and replacement rivets.
Petcocks for tank.
Engine and cases are fair but thrown chain has damaged inner case and ignition cover. I assume I should find undamaged cases if I want to show this.
Fenders are in poor condition and I believe front fender brace is not correct.
Pipe is hammered but is functional.
Throttle is in rough shape as door is broken off otherwise it functions. I had this bike running and carb is functioning properly.
Clutch and brake controls seem to be original along with choke.
I would love to get original grips, cables and tires.
I think it was an enduro model but has no speedo or lights but does have tank with mounting points for tool bag.
I am in the process of disassembly.

I am a newbe to this process.
Thank you,
Paul

rob w

Hi Paul, welcome.
Frame number 434 is already registered in "frame numbers list" in "production years". So it was once owned by a POG member.
The tool bag mounting holes in the top of the gas tank, does not signify whether it originally was a mx or enduro. But it does tell you that the tank is not original to your '68 model. '68 models did not have those holes.
You will be able to find the original Magura grips - cables will have to be reproduced in close to original colors - tires are nearly impossible to find.
Replacing throttle is easy enough, I have 2 of those.
There use to be a reproduction pipe made.
Many use the fenders available from Royal Enfield.
It is possible to find someone to weld a undetectable piece into your broken cases.
Seat cover will have to be custom made.
Original petcocks, I believe to find those, they will have to be used.
Good luck, you're in the right place to look for help.
Bob

Paul Scanlin

Rob
Thank you for the response. At this time I would really like to get info on the paint that I should use when I repaint the Frame and also the colors for the Tank. Is there a member who would help with that info.
I found someone to recover the seat.
I have found what I believe is the proper grips (Magura diamond)and a new throttle.
Thanks,
Paul

Daniel Desranleau

Hi Paul,

Here is some info. Readily available on this site.

The search feature can give almost any info you might be interested in and great history as well.

I use it all the time to gain knowledge about everything Penton.  Good luck with your project.
 I have a few going on...

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14972&SearchTerms=steel,tanker,paint

Paul Scanlin

Great news Daniel, Thanks for the help. Now need fork parts if anyone can help.