PVL or Powerdynamo?

Started by Jeffrey Matyas, February 11, 2017, 01:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffrey Matyas

Guys, looking to upgrade to a PVL or Powerdynamo on my 1979 250 GS80.
I have read all I can about each system and can deal with the headlight and taillights by either running a modern battery setup or powering it off the system. Just looking for your experience on which one is better or any real issues with either one? I am ok with the stock Motoplat but it acts up after a half hour of riding and is a bit hit-and-miss at times.
Also, any setup issues or setting to watch for would be great. Thanks for any replies. -Jeff

ALB

Hi Jeff,

I installed a Powerdynamo on my Jackpiner a few years ago. It works great. No need for a battery. The rear brake light lights up with the bike just idling. Not having a working brake light at an idle with the old MotoPlat system always concerned me since I ride the bike on the streets. In heavy traffic I would have to make sure that I pulled the clutch in and kept the revs up when coming to a stop.

The only issue that I had with it was the flywheel slipping when the power band would hit. My fault because I did not clean the crank end and the inside of the flywheel from the little bit of oil that was on them. After cleaning them real good the bike runs fine.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Jeffrey Matyas

Thanks Alan! So go with the DC system and just run a condenser (or maybe a small battery as an option). Or did you just go with the AC system?

I just looked and I assume you sell just the AC system?

Oldebonz

Have this system on my 100 Berkshire,flawless!1 Powers lights and stop bulb very ell,I use 12v bulbs,as good as older Japanese trail bikes.

ALB

I used the AC system for use without a battery.

The units that I have in stock are all AC systems.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Koen Cuypers

....or

http://www.hpi.be ;)

For SACHS 125cc Engine

HPI in -or outside rotor:

068K249   
      210K249

Grts, Koen

WVDingo

Sorry to revive an old thread, but is there any reason why the outside rotor unit wouldn't work on a B motor? HPI lists it for the "5 gears".

https://www.hpi.be/item.php?item=210K249

G Ellis

WVDingo give me a call, I can help you. I am set up as a dealer and have installed these on a sachs motor. My number is 217 260 0237. The HPI system is half price of a Powerdynamo.

SouthRider

Gary,

These systems are very interesting. New options for old bikes.

Curious about the diesel controllers. I have a "new" 2015 Audi Q7 tdi that has been patched with the epa approved fix for the VW pollution scandal.

Great engine, nice power, fantastic fuel economy for a heavy SUV.

It does suffer from pretty serious turbo lag off idle. I have a Banks controller on my Duramax Chevy, and it made a world of difference.

Will any of the listed kits work with the new US spec Q7 3.0 tdi?

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Mick Milakovic

Gary installed an HPI on my '73 Jackpiner.  I've done 3, 1-hour hare scramblers and the bike performed flawlessly.  Starts easy, revs nicely, very happy.

Mick
Mick

G Ellis

SouthRider I don't think we are talking about the same companies. HPI is out of Belgium.

SouthRider

Gary, not sure what you mean. I'm looking at the products offered in the links above. Are you a dealer for all of their products? Or just ignitions?

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

G Ellis

Yes for all, I haven't look at all products. If you give me a item number I can look it up.

Husky

Jeff:  I have powerdynamo on my 74 harescrambler.  It is just super, cranks and runs flawlessly.  Ive had it in some pretty wet races and it performed as promised. Got it from Alan.  Easy install too.

1970 Hodaka Super Rat
1974 Penton Harescrambler
1983 Husqvarna XC500
1988 Husqvarna Auto
2004 KTM 450 EXC
1970 Hodaka Super Rat
1974 Penton Harescrambler
1983 Husqvarna XC500
1988 Husqvarna Auto
2004 KTM 450 EXC

Koen Cuypers

I've been using the HPI ignitions for my Sachs 125 engines for years. Work excellent and have a good price. The company is located at a few dozen kilometers from where I live :)
You have to be careful that the flywheel is properly mounted. There is no key present so correct position is very important.
I always mount these in combination with Loctite 641 (cylindrical mounting) to ensure the cone is properly connected.
Good luck with it.