Any 50th Anniversary Plans ??

Started by saddlesore904, February 12, 2017, 10:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saddlesore904

2018 would seem to represent the 50th anniversary of the Penton m/c.  Does the club have anything in the works ??

New member that has been lusting after on for at least 40 yrs.  

Keep up the good work.

Larry in Jax, FL

Take the long trail.
Take the long trail.

Paul Danik

Greetings Larry, and welcome to the Penton Owners Group message board.

It is funny that you should ask that question this morning. Just yesterday at the John Penton Day event Jack Penton and I had a brief discussion about that upcoming momentous occasion. President Dale has mentioned it as well several times as we know the clock is ticking.

Are there any plans set in stone at this time, I believe NO would be the correct answer at this time.

Will the Penton Owners Group have some sort of celebration, I would feel safe in answering YES to that question, and THANK YOU for providing more momentum to the planning process.

Below Larry are some thoughts in concert with your question, again, very timely in the asking.

It was interesting yesterday to listen to John Penton giving his analogy of "time and life" in his message to the gathered folks, and of how the years do go by. He told of having an old Ford "back in the day", and of how it was about 20 years old when he had it, and how he felt it was an OLD vehicle when he had it. He compared his perspective of that "old Ford" of 20 years of age with the fact that his Penton Sportcycle will be 50 years old shortly. It was a very touching and from the heart expression of life and time from his perspective of being 91 years of age.

John is always amazed, and of course very pleased with the interest in his Penton Sportcycle. A good example of this great interest occurred yesterday as two gentlemen from Alabama, who had driven 12 hours the day before to Amherst to pick up a Penton that the one wanted for his collection, came by the restaurant to meet John. The new owner of the Penton is younger than many of us, and he was thrilled to meet John before starting his 12 hour drive home.

The timing of the meeting of 91 year young John Penton, with this much younger and very excited new Penton owner who was going to have 24 hours of seat time in chasing down a Penton, could not have been better..:D  

Raymond W., you most certainly helped to make the John Penton Day celebration even more special for John Penton.

Paul

Mike OReilly

I often think back to that glorious September weekend we gathered at KTM in Amherst for the 40th celebration: the Saturday tour and the momentous ride to the Penton homestead.

Was it really 10 years ago! Doesn't seem like it. Damn time flies, even more so it seems as you get older.

Chuckwoodard

Hello to all the Penton owners group.  I can't put into words how pleased, impressed, overwhelmed and just plain grateful my nephew and I are at the reception we received from this very special group.  For all of you to take time to share your memories is so special.  It was a true living history lesson and one that I will share with my friends.  Special thanks to Paul for putting me in touch with Ollie and coming up with the unique items Mr. Penton autographed for us, and thanks to Ollie for the beautiful 125.  Bob Green it was a pleasure to meet and talk with you.  Dale, Al and a few others I can't recall....thank you for your time yesterday.  It would be nice if we could make another trip and spend more time.  Maybe next year, God willing, we can come up for the 50th celebration.  Can't express what it meant to meet Mr. and Mrs. Penton.  Like I said earlier, living history and something that won't be forgotten anytime soon.  Thank all of you from the bottom of my heart and if anyone is coming South near Birmingham, we'd love to see you.  The hospitality shown to us was very much appreciated.  May God bless all of you.  
Quotequote:Originally posted by Paul Danik

Greetings Larry, and welcome to the Penton Owners Group message board.

It is funny that you should ask that question this morning. Just yesterday at the John Penton Day event Jack Penton and I had a brief discussion about that upcoming momentous occasion. President Dale has mentioned it as well several times as we know the clock is ticking.

Are there any plans set in stone at this time, I believe NO would be the correct answer at this time.

Will the Penton Owners Group have some sort of celebration, I would feel safe in answering YES to that question, and THANK YOU for providing more momentum to the planning process.

Below Larry are some thoughts in concert with your question, again, very timely in the asking.

It was interesting yesterday to listen to John Penton giving his analogy of "time and life" in his message to the gathered folks, and of how the years do go by. He told of having an old Ford "back in the day", and of how it was about 20 years old when he had it, and how he felt it was an OLD vehicle when he had it. He compared his perspective of that "old Ford" of 20 years of age with the fact that his Penton Sprotcycle will be 50 years old shortly. It was a very touching and from the heart expression of life and time from his perspective of being 91 years of age.

John is always amazed, and of course very pleased with the interest in his Penton Sportcycle. A good example of this great interest occurred yesterday as two gentlemen from Alabama, who had driven 12 hours the day before to Amherst to pick up a Penton that the one wanted for his collection, came by the restaurant to meet John. The new owner of the Penton is younger than many of us, and he was thrilled to meet John before starting his 12 hour drive home.

The timing of the meeting of 91 year young John Penton, with this much younger and very excited new Penton owner who was going to have 24 hours of seat time in chasing down a Penton, could not have been better..:D  

Chuck W., you most certainly helped to make the John Penton Day celebration even more special for John Penton.

Paul

Raymond Woodard
Raymond Woodard

saddlesore904

I've been thinking about jumping on a jackpiner I stumbled upon recently down here in the Sunshine State.  I went to the club site looking for others or info on current values.   I noticed the Penton gathering scheduled for last Saturday and decided to sign up.   I used to live in Medina and did some business with the Holeshot KTM (Laidig's) in Akron.   Now days I do a little AHRMA cross country and, ironically, got a xr200r out of Akron last fall.  
Is there a resource in this group for current value ranges I could talk to about Jackpiner values??   Seller has 2, 1 complete runner and another that is a project.   The project motor supposedly has it's original bore.

Take the long trail.
Take the long trail.