Doug Wilford gone! :(

Started by Larry Perkins, March 07, 2017, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

My heart aches to let this Penton family know that a great left us last night.  Doug Wilford passed.  Probably no one knew the Sachs motor better than him.  He was instrumental to the Penton motorcycle as it progressed.  Doug was always great to me going back to my second enduro where he fixed my bike so I could compete.  I was to him just some kid on a Penton.  I could tell so many Doug Wilford stories but they will be told and his motors will go on winning.  He built the 100 Sachs motor I won my first AMA number 1 plate with after trying for almost 40 years.  Doug you will be missed.  Please pray for his family.  Heaven got a great man and a great rider.  Godspeed.  RIP Doug!

chicagojerry

sincere deepest sympathies for the family and friends. God Bless

dennis brown

I was lucky enough to ride on same number as doug at the little burr one yr. he and  another guy younger longer blonde hair can not remember his name. both on puch 175cc I was on a 175 penton my parents worked the gas stop for all of us. very nice person!!

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Don Roth

An honor to have known him, Godspeed, and see you on the other side.

jeff greenberg

Very sad to hear this news. Great person! Will be missed.

Steve Minor

Doug was one of the nicest men I've ever met. I'm proud to have a "DW" motor on my 72 Six Day.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

firstturn

I will miss Doug.   Such a great person and someone who was a great and a go to person when it came to Sachs Engines and the  general set up of a bike for a tough Enduro.  He shared so many great stories of races past and the great people he was Friends with all over the world.  RIP my Friend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

INFORMATION ON DOUG'S SERVICES:

Services for for Douglas Dean Wilford 4/8/1937 to 3/6/2017
Visitation: Friday 3/10/2017 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Garland-Misencik Funeral Home
851 Park Avenue
Amherst, Ohio 44001
440-988-4124
Funeral: Saturday 3/11/2017 10 AM
St. Peter's United Church of Christ
582 Church Street
Amherst, Ohio. 44001

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

My deepest condolences to the Wilford family. Doug will long be remembered.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

hankthecrank

Indeed an honor to have known him. We are praying for the family.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

fischercycle

IT IS a SAD DAY FOR FELLOW MOTORCYCLISTS WHO WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO MEET DOUG AND RIDE WITH HIM AT MANY ENDUROS, HIS LOVE FOR THE SPORT IS SHARED BY MANY PENTON RIDERS,REMEMBERING GOING BACK TO 1973 AT THE SIX DAYS IN PITTSFIELD HE WAS TEAM MANAGER AND RIDER WHO PUT 100 PERCENT EFFORT INTO THE US PENTON TEAM,PLUS THE MANY ENDUROS AND QUALIFIERS AND MANY MILES MORE WE  ATTENED  TOGETHER, OUR MEMORIES INCLUDE HIS WIFE DOROTHY A TRUE ENTHUSIASTS, OUR SYMPATHY IS EXTENDED TO HIS FAMILY,OUR MEMORIES WILL BE TREASURED BY MY FAMILY, GINNY JOHN  PAT JEFF JAKE

Rich Fredette

Although I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Wilford, I know he had to be a special gentleman if he was associated with my fellow POG members. My heart felt sorrow to his loving family and friends.

'72 Jackpiner - 175: 7-20555153
'14 Newfoundland - Keira 54kg
\\\'72 Jackpiner - 175: 7-20555153
\\\'14 Newfoundland - Keira 54kg

swamp fox

So sorry to read this. I had the pleasure and honor to meet Doug at Mid-Ohio, and he made this old kid from the SC lowcountry feel like one of the group. Such a kind and generous person. I had him rebuild my engine from my 72 Berkshire that I have owned since 73. He sent it back looking to good to mount in the dirty old frame, so I have been trying to restore that one, and a 72 Six Day that also has a DW engine in it.

Godspeed Doug, and God Bless your family.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

ALB

Another one of the "Princes" of the Penton dynasty has passed.
Doug was instrumental in setting up and organizing the POG Treasurer's report and membership spreadsheets. He assumed the duties of Treasurer and Membership when he joined the POG.

When Doug expressed an interest in rebuilding the Sachs engines, I set him up with all the special tools needed to do the job. I remember him telling me about his experience working on that first engine that was sent to him. Back in the late sixties he would crank out 3 to 4 rebuilds in one day. That first engine took him about a week to rebuild. He could not believe the wear and tear that had to be dealt with from 30+ years of use and abuse. Like anything that he got involved with, he developed a system to make it a little easier.

I enjoyed Doug's weekly visits to my store to pick up the parts that he needed for any current repair work. He would spend about an hour sharing his many stories. Once in while he would bring Dot along for the ride and I would get to hear some of her stories.

Another treat that I miss were the "mailing parties". Dot opened up her house to allow us to put the POG newsletter mailings together. There would be Al Born, Paul Busick, Jeff Borer, Jim Borer, Ollie Martin, and Al Martin along with Doug and I putting labels on the envelopes, inserting the newsletters, sealing the envelopes, and putting stamps on them. Dot would serve us coffee, tea, and cookies, and the rest of us would serve up a big dose of "bench racing".

To witness the decline in Doug's health was heart breaking for me. Somehow, Dot (an Angel in disguise) managed to keep her sanity during this long ordeal. Her good sense of humor helped.

A wealth of experience and knowledge got locked away in Doug's head. Because of this wonderful Penton Owners Group, I had the opportunity to meet and get to know Doug and Dot. I am grateful for the experience and for sharing some of Doug's life with our POG family.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner