Crankcase ignition wire rubber grommet pops out

Started by kawacarl, March 13, 2017, 06:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

Thanks to Paul and Carl for the clarification...as mentioned something new to learn all the time.
Carl, I agree...I also worry when I have to move all adjustments to the ends of their ranges.

Another question from a Husky-but-not-really-a-Sachs guy.

Is 3.2mm btdc the correct timing???

Only reason I ask is my 125 Husky is ~ 2.2 mm.
I just worked on an 87 430 that was 2.3...it had been retarded to ~ 2.0 to reduce kick-back.
Many others I've worked on have been in the 2.0 to 2.5 mm btdc range.

Anyway...I know you're not working on a Husky...but 3.2mm just strikes me as quite advanced.

I'm sure the Sachs experts will weigh in with the right info;)

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Paul Danik

Carl,

The manual I just checked to confirm what my feeble old mind recalled says 2.6 - 3.2 mm BTDC . I would try more for the 2.6 than the 3.2, but I would also ask some of the guys running their Sachs powered machines with todays fuels, ect. to chime in if they would be so kind.

As far as being at the limit of the adjustment range on the base plate, the base plate I have sitting here has a total of 6 slots in it, is it possible that you could find a more suitable set of slots that might allow for a wider range of adjustment? How about you guys that are working on these engines currently, is it common to be at the end of the adjustment range on the base plate?

Hope this all helps Carl.

Richard, thanks for keeping us honest...:)

Paul

kawacarl

This was hand written in my Penton manual for a 125. The range is 3.0
to 3.5mm.  I am not sure who the hand writing was from but it was copied, so the manual was updated I guess!

Carl

Carl Mendenhall
Carl Mendenhall

kawacarl

Paul,

I have rotated the base plate to every position possible and only
one will allow all three screw holes to align. I also would like to hear from the Sachs gurus on this!

Thanks,

Carl

Carl Mendenhall
Carl Mendenhall

Richard Colahan

Last thought from a Husky guy...
Are you using a dial indicator to measure your piston btdc position?

If you are using a plunger...well...maybe that's not accurate enough?

Of course...having said that I'll also admit to using thin celephane to time the points opening on old Lucas and BTH magnetos...so...

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

kawacarl

Richard,

I don't have a dial indicator, and I have wondered about that, and
that is another reason to question the extreme rotation of the base and stator to get the 3.2mm BTDC. I just now thought of a guy I know that might have one.  I will try to get in touch with him.

Carl Mendenhall
Carl Mendenhall

gooddirt

rotate the stator for final timing ; after you have found the right slots in
the plate then tighten it down . lightly loosen the three center screws on the stator and put on the fly wheel and insert the timing pin and rotate to your setting. remove fly w and tighten the screws

Oldebonz

Spark plug hole is at an angle,true measurement requires head removal and an adaptor at 90 degrees bolted to cylinder stud and mounting dial gauge straight up and down.Maybe hole is OK since there is a "range" of measurement for BTDC,maybe angle not that critical. But with the spare plug angle,any chance pointer is bending or sliding across top of piston? Just a thought...

Larry Perkins

I don't remember that head having much angle or if it does.  I have always timed them through plug hole.

Larry P

kawacarl

My friend has a dial indicator and won't be home until the end of next week.  I will set the timing with the final adjustment with the loose stator and check it with the dial indicator to see how close I came, hopefully by the end of next week and will post the results. Also no chance of the plunger flexing at all.  Thanks to everybody and their input!!

Carl Mendenhall
Carl Mendenhall