CMF 100/125 Exhaust discussion.

Started by Dale Fisher, April 14, 2017, 08:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Fisher

We all know it is almost impossible to find an exhaust for a CMF 100/125 that is not ravaged in some fashion.  So, the question is what would you spend on a complete perfect reproduction ready to bolt in place?  My quote proposal asked for a total of 10 (6 - 1972/73 and 4 - 1974 because of the tailpiece difference).  The Italian connection puts the sell price at between $550 to $600.  Much of the actual cost depends on finding an economical method to ship them.  He did a very nice job on offering up steel tanker pipes which have sold out at about the same price range on Ebay.

A.  Is there any interest in purchasing one at this price?
B.  Would you be willing to pay for it and wait until October-ish for the exhaust to arrive??

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Larry Perkins

aL AT ONE TIME HAD THE REAR SECTIONS OF THESE PIPES REPRODUCED.  wHAT HAPENED TO HIS SUPPLIER AND COULD NOT ANOTHER ONE BE FOUND.  tHAT IS A MUCH CHEAPER FIX AND WORKS IN MOST INSTANCES.  a THOUGHT ANYWAY.

At one time Al had the rear sections of these pipes reproduced.  What happened to his supplier and could not another one be found.  This is a much lower dollar fix and in most instances fixes a cut pipe. It won't solve the problem if you need the whole pipe but that method made a lot of screwed up pipes look right again. A thought anyway.  

Larry P

Dale Fisher

Building or repairing the shroud is one possible option assuming you have something to start with.  Not everyone has the fabricating or welding skills to perform this type of repair.  And... if the rest of the pipe is a rusty mess and perforated?  This would be for instant gratification ;)

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

firstturn

So what would the approximate cost shipped to my Home for a 1972/3? Thanks

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

metalkfab

Good Morning, All Custom Fabricators did produce repop's SIMILAR to the original shrouds.They were costly to manufacture and we lost money with everyone we produced.Demand wasn't great enough to justify a higher volume production run to reduce costs.We forwarded the patterns and info we had to another POG member for possible production.As with most reproduction's to match the originals,a lot of hand labor was needed and the talent for the methods to produce the items has retired or died.Looking at the price listed above by Dale,as a custom manufacturer,it is a VERY FAIR PRICE for a EXACT COPY of a limited production run.As with ALL Vintage items,we need to stop thinking in 1960 and 1970 pricing schedules.

Larry Perkins

Carl were the other items you made for Al a similar thing where it was not cost effective to continue?  Thanks!  By the way your workmanship was excellent.  It is a bummer some of that is not still for sale.  One last thing, did you do the footpegs and skidplates?

Larry P

metalkfab

Thank You for the compliment! We did reproduce a number of Penton items for AL,including the footpegs and skid plates.All Custom Fabricators utilized the Penton Reproductions as training for our metal fabricators.It was great fun and experience to produce these parts,to see our young employees grow in their skill levels.Unfortunately,as the business world grew Globally,our customer base moved offshore and we could no longer hire and train people for the trade of metal fabricating and welding,let alone produce items for sale that had dollars attached to them when shipped.The Penton reproductions were more of a labor of love for Penton's and the people of POG,than for profit.AL continues to ask us to reproduce Penton items,but we have been in survival mode as a business for at least the last ten years and concentrate on production of custom fabrications that yield a positive(minimal) cash flow.It makes me cry everyday when I walk into our shop and see MY Penton restorations collecting dust and rust from lack of time to rebuild them.

metalkfab

Proud Swedish Heritage,it's Karl with a "K".From my Mothers side!

firstturn

Karl I will second what Larry said, as I used your repro parts and actually still have a few left.  You did this as a labor of love and from your Heart.  Thanks again Karl.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

Sorry about that Karl!  It has been awhile.  Could I email you sometime with some quick questions about the pegs and skidplates?

Larry P

Cal Alexander

Dale, the answer to both of your questions from this end is yes. I purchased one of the Italian pipes for my Steel Tanker Restoration. They are beautiful! I would be interested in one of each configuration (1972-73 and the 1974) on any new order. Also agree with Larry that it would be great if the pipe shrouds were still available as many of us have several dinged up pipes in need of them.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Rocket

I have access to the pipe shrouds.  I don't know how many are available at this time, who has interest and how many?
RCG

Carl Hill

I have several pipes that have dents. Unfortunately most pipe repair businesses will not fix any exhaust with the silencer made into the pipe. Anyone know anyplace that will? I may be interested in a new pipe for my 74 Berkshire if I can't get original fixed. I really wanted to put the original back on it. It was modified "back in the day" and performed quite well. Sure wish I could track down the history of that machine. I bought it in Avon Ohio in1978. Had bright paint markings on the center cases. I believe bikes used in ISDT were marked this way. Any info out there?

KJDonovan

Rod,

I could you use a 1 pipe shroud for an up coming project.  Let me know how much.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

firstturn

Dale put me down for one 72/73.  Thanks

Ron Carbaugh