Fuel line

Started by Rocket, May 18, 2017, 08:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

Who can tell me for sure what the exact color and type of fuel line came on the steel tankers and also the 72 and later models?
Thanks in advance.
RCG

Rocket

98 people have read this and no one has an opinion or idea on original fuel line.

Larry Perkins

I never saw a new steel tanker but a lot of Pentons after that new and I can not remember what was on them.  I put on fuel filters but drawing a blank.  Sorry Rod.

Larry P

Bob Gilman

Rod,the 69 steel tank bike in my family room never been touched has a clear gas line on it.Only thing changed on it was the chain, it snapped when it was new.This bike has been in my house for over 45 years.Thats the best I can come up with.

rob w

Rod, from what I can tell from brochures and magazine tests.
68 brochure - black
69 magazine test - black
70 magazine test - clear
71 magazine test - clear
72 brochure - clear
74 brochure - clear

Rocket

Thanks for the replies, wasn't sure before, now I know.
Appreciated
RCG

Paul Danik

Rod,

I have checked the fuel line on 3 machines that I feel are for sure original, 1 very early Steel Tanker, one very late Steel Tanker, and 1 early Jackpiner in a CMF frame. All three have fuel lines that allow you to see the flow of the fuel, but, as Dave has said, the fuel line is a yellowish color, not clear plastic. I then checked two KTMs sitting near by, a 1999 125 EXC and a 2000 or so 200EXC, and they seem to have the same fuel line as the Pentons did.

In my opinion, totally clear plastic fuel line would not be correct on the Steel Tankers, and if I had to give an opinion on the CMF machines 175cc and under, I would say the same. I have no working knowledge on the bigger bores and the machines I have to check I can not say if they are original.

I have also gone thru a number of photos from back in the day and a few show the fuel line fairly well and they look yellowish as well.

Hope this helps, interesting question...:)
Paul

Randy Kirkbride

I think the cmf bikes fuel line was clear. I think the leaded gasoline turned them yellowish after time.
Just my opinion.

Randy Kirkbride

Quotequote:Originally posted by Randy Kirkbride

I think the cmf bikes fuel line was clear. I think the leaded gasoline turned them yellowish after time. Or, maybe it was the Golden Spectro mix that made it discolor.
Just my opinion.

Randy Kirkbride

Quotequote:Originally posted by Randy Kirkbride

I think the cmf bikes fuel line was clear. I think the leaded gasoline turned them yellowish after time. Or, maybe it was the Golden Spectro mix that made it discolor.
Just my opinion.