Racing at East Palestine, Ohio "back in the day"

Started by Paul Danik, June 09, 2017, 05:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

A couple of days ago Judy and I happened to be near East Palestine, Ohio and I decided to try to find the track where some great MX races took place "back in the day". Sure enough the track is still there, and it looks like it still is in use.

If I remember correctly the MX track from yesteryear ran up the return road from the hill climb and then ran down the hill climb, but I was wondering if any of you may have raced there and could either confirm or correct my recollection.

I still have a Cycle News write up from the August 1, 1971 MX that is titled SHORT BLOODY MOTOCROSS, it was so dusty and so many riders were getting hauled away that after the first set of races the event was stopped, possibly some of you were there as well.

Thanks,
Paul

johnborn

Hi, Paul.that is a cra  track,used by Salem motorcycle club.check out racecra.org for contact info.that is big valley Raceway,I believe.

Paul Danik

Thanks John.

I imagine your dad might have raced at East Palestine,  or if nothing else he may have attended one of their hill climbs. I wonder if they still host hill climbs? I only took my 125 Penton to one hill climb and that was at the Leap'en Linx (sp) hill located not to far from Pittsburgh. Today it is under interstate I-279 north and every time I run by that area I think back to those events. Possibly Lee Buffenmyer made the trip to one of those hills "back in the day" with his specially built Penton hill climber....

Paul

dennis brown

paul  the first time I ran at east Palestine hare scrambles was on my 1965 tfs greeves enduro,and a good number of time since  was a fun place!

dennis l.brown
dennis l.brown

Larry Perkins

Dennis I have a Greeves question.  The TFS comes with a smaller carb than the MX model on a Greeves.  It is the same motor 34a.  Is the transmission the same and can you add a bigger carb and have a competitive Premier lightweight MXer useing the tfs?  Thanks for any help on this.  Sorry to hijack the thread momentarily.  If you would rather hit me direct [email protected]

Larry P