2017 vintage days the good and bad

Started by Bob Gilman, July 10, 2017, 08:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gilman

Another vintage days has come and gone,but still one to remember.Friday  morning we had a severe rain and wind storm with winds up to 60mph that ruined a lot of peoples weekend.My son and I held onto our ez-up for dear life,got soaked,had go backed to the hotel and change clothes and blow dry my shoes,only had one pair with me.The Mungenast tent next to us blew apart and was wrecked.On the other side Nelson,Bob,Dave McCullough held their shelter down,I think one of them had feet go off the ground.Across from us Dale Buehner had all his food set up for morning and lunch,It all blew away with his tent in tow.I think he fed everyone in the camp ground.Some things he never found.Some will make a lot of money for the scrap ez-ups that were wrecked.Other than that  it was a good week end.Oh I forgot to mention,there was a lone ez-up setting by it self in back of us that never moved with no one around,On the ez-up it said Christian Riders,I wonder who protected that?John celebrated his 92nd birthday,we had a nice cake and good company.I think he is getting younger instead of older.A special thanks goes out to Dale Fisher for all his hard work,also Scott,Ollie,and Paul Busick.A big thank you to Dale Buehner for fixing all the food for 3 days.Dale does this like a primitive camper,no electric and no running water and still looks like a set up for a wedding.Most people don't know this,but he has 2 days of clean up after its over.He is a super guy.Thanks to Lee Buffenmeyer for his bike set up and memorabilia.It seems like our POG turn out was smaller this year,I hope more people will come next year.If you have never attended you are missing a lot.Nice to see Bud Green back.Also it wasn't the same with out Paul Danik there,Its the first year he has missed since POG started in 98.I hope all that attended had a great time.

Larry Perkins

The AMA has every year done things or changed things that chase a few off here and there.  They seem to have a knack for it.  I have in the past let it roll off like water on a duck but when they dropped the 100 class they lost me.  I may come now and again but till they get their racing agenda sorted out I will never again be the there every year guy.  The AMA will eventually learn that cutting corners does not always save you money.

Larry P

rob brown

I had a great time seeing many old friends,and making new friends.  I hung out with Larry Adams and the Texas crew, as well as Roberto. Mr. Penton was kind enough to sign my Mint tank and a "few" PP headlights for friends. I got to chat with some really great folks too; really enjoyed talking to Ray. Perhaps the high point was meeting a cool dude named Bob Gilman. He also sold me his 77 175 MC5. I went away happy.  

Gotta admit that those pit races in the camping area were getting pretty hairy. An accident waiting to happen!

I will be back next year, and will bring more buddies :)

Rob Brown
540.815.8411 cell

Mike OReilly

About the pit races...

I haven't been to Mid-Ohio in a few years, but I remember the early days (circa '98). We raced in the infield, which was very cool, but you could just tell management wasn't too pleased, and the landscaping equipment was out right after racing to fix the "damage".

My first year I brought a bicycle to get around. Was promptly told "no bicycles allowed" ! We rode trials over toward the road racing pits, but heaven forbid if you strayed from the trail that got you there. In the early days there was also a firm rule "no motorcycles without street registration".

Now it appears the pendulum has swung the other way entirely (might have something to do with VMD dollars adding up over the years??) I haven't been back in a few years, but I've seen pictures of the pit bike racing and it sure does look like a recipe for disaster. How times have changed.

Mike

ccmnova

Went there for the first time on Saturday and the weather was good. Met with a guy and bought a '74 six days fiberglass tank. Had John Penton sign a photo and a front plate. Met Al Buehner for the first time,  Got a handle on a guy in Amherst that says he will adjust my shifter mechanism. All in all it was a great day and even stopped at Lehman's on the way home and ate at Mrs Yoders Kitchen.  The only bad note was that they had sold out of the golf cart rentals that day........

Oldebonz

Great time this year!Didn't get to spend as much time at Penton Headquarters as I wanted,(road racing) but want to sincerely thank Mr. John Penton for signing my Berkshires gas tank!

Carl Hill

Had a great time. Lost one EZ up on Friday (out of 3). Bike quit on last lap of 1st Moto ( my fault) but got it running for the 2nd Moto. Already thinking about next year.

Rick Bennett

Talking about the good and bad...

Congrats to Ed Barth. He smoked everyone in the vintage 200 class CC on his Six Days. The track was a swamp after the two hour downpour just before the start Friday. I have no idea why the run the PV race first. They have more suspension and power and we get the ruts.

Anyone know why the AMA lets the Burnout contest happen in the campground until past 2:00am?? The thousand beer cans smashed into the mud at this location and the "F" bombs coming out over the PA system makes me think twice about returning next year. I have written to the AMA to get their response. I had my five year old Grandson with me and he doesn't need to hear this.

Maybe I am just getting old.

Rick Bennett

firstturn

Rick Bennett it is for these reasons that these wonderful venues turn to trash.  You are correct that AMA should have better control.  Glad you voiced your opinion and that you wrote a letter.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rick Bennett

OK..just got off the phone with Jeff Massy (safety director for the AMA at this event, go figure) and he told me those responsible for the Burnout are "good people". It all comes down to what will draw in the biggest crowd and dollars. That is ALL they care about!!! I asked him how he could figure who was drawn in vs who was turned off and what kind of image they wanted. Seems they don't care as long as they get the cash. The AMA actually is the one that puts on the "barrel racing" in the campground, again just for the draw as a spectator sport. They are willing to roll the dice on a kid riding a CT70 being run over by a touring bike. They also don't care about the lack of safety equipment being worn. Hope their insurance is paid up and the law firm is up to it. The AMA will be having an after event meeting to talk about the good and bad. I said my piece. Anyone else, Jeff's number is 614-856-1900 ext 1357. He is the first responder when a complaint comes in. Fat chance on talking to Rob Dingman.
Rick Bennett

thrownchain

I could have told you that as long as they sell tickets, $$ is the bottom line. Won't change unless someone gets hurt and files a big lawsuit. It has to hurt their wallet before change will occur.

metalkfab

Maybe contacting Mid-Ohio directly would be a good course of action.

paul a. busick

Well it seems there are different opinions as to what the VMD weekend has become. I found the whole thing irresponsible!  Friday nite Scott and I sat around chatting and watching the crazies BLAST up and down the  main road at full speed.  We observed no less the 5 ambulances going in and out with lites and horns going - it was about the same on Saturday nite with an added fire truck.  I believe in having fun, but this was CHAOS!  AMA and Mid Ohio have their obligations to have a safe environment for all. A few years back you could not even ride a bicycle at this event.  I know things are going to change as time moves on, but I sure enjoyed myself more when AHRMA and Will Stoner were involved.  Those were indeed the good old days!  Amherst Paul

wfopete

This same issue came up on another site but about the national outdoor MX scene.  $40 a head is cheap entertainment these days compared to other sporting events or even entertainment events.  Have you priced a major theme park, roller coaster park or music event lately?

I don't go to ANY pro sports events anymore. I've been to Red Bud enough times to see all the fights, burning cars, drunks, etc. I care for. It's not so much the $$$$ which is an issue but it's more the drive, parking, policies and people there that get me to spend my time and money elsewhere. Some say I'm missing the "electric atmosphere". I call it missing a lot of drunk idiots trying to be something and venues with crappy viewing and promoters trying to shake you down for every cent you have. I'd rather watch it at home with my pause button, food, refrigerator and a potty I trust.

That said; if the MXoN comes to Red Bud, I'll do what I can to get tickets and go.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

rob brown

I remember years ago when I was told I couldn't ride my mtn. bike. Crazy. Yes, I do think the pendulum has swung too far the other way. I wondered what all the commotion was friday night, so I rode over before dark. I wondered if anyone got hurt, and it sounds like they did both nights. I took some video too.

Wouldn't it be great if we just met in the middle? I like to have a good time, but this was getting dangerous. At the swap meet, I had to stand my ground a couple of times because of crazies flying through the crowd. Yes, I gave them my evil teacher look. They stopped. I have to admit that I thought about clotheslining one of them. My bad...

The Tennessee National mx was pretty mellow last month. Good times there.