Right hand shifting

Started by Jay Brown, November 15, 2017, 12:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Brown

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to switch the shifter to the right hand side on a 75 250 Penton. My 72 Jackpiner's shift shaft extended on both the right and left. Would an earlier Jackpiner shif shaft work in the 250? It looks like there is a spot for a seal on the rightside on the 250. Before anyone thinks I'm nut, the motor would be use in a flattracker. So righthand shifting is a bonus.

Rocket

That is all you need to do is get the shift shaft that extends out of both sides.  Knock the plug out of the case, install the lip seal and start shifting.  You will have to split the cases to do this.
RCG

Jay Brown

Is the 175 shift shaft the same as the 250? Did they make 250's that the shaft stuck out on both side?

Rocket, Go to the photo gallery, then 5th row down to Dave Sanders Pentons, photos #48 and 49 show my flat-tracker shifter. I made the shifter from a stock KTM shifer, cut the shifter off and welded a tube on, then some flat-iron and drilled end for 1/4 bolt then added some rubber gas line. The older 175s had the right/left shifters.  Ol Dave

G Ellis

Shifter shafts are all the same.

Sorry Rocket I meant Jay, your right Gary all the same, I'll look around I might have one. The shifer I made is a copy of what the '77 Penton flat-tracker looked like. I sold two flat-trackers when I was a Penton dealer. Ol Dave

skiracer

Nice workmanship!

Quotequote:Originally posted by 242

Rocket, Go to the photo gallery, then 5th row down to Dave Sanders Pentons, photos #48 and 49 show my flat-tracker shifter. I made the shifter from a stock KTM shifer, cut the shifter off and welded a tube on, then some flat-iron and drilled end for 1/4 bolt then added some rubber gas line. The older 175s had the right/left shifters.  Ol Dave

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Carl Hill

I recall seeing a new engine at Hi Point many years ago which has a shifter on the right.

Jay Brown

Thanks to all. I'll look for a 175 shift shaft if the deal for the bike goes through.