74 Harescrambler suspension advise

Started by johnacapp, January 27, 2018, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

Looking for some POG advise and direction.

I have a 74 Harescrambler that I am setting up for Vintage cross country races and want to get the most out of my suspension and still be legal.

Lets start with the forks, stock 35mm Ceriani straight leg forks that have the original spring. I am looking for help determine proper spring weight and where I can get replacement springs and any modifications to get the most out of my suspension?

Rear Shocks, the shocks that are on the bike are Curnutt shocks, not sure what springs are on the units but I am looking to replace with new units.

Any POG advice and or direction of vendor or persons that could help me with the suspension set up would be greatly appreciated
John Capp

Mick Milakovic

John, I run Marzocchi reservoir shocks on mine in the laid-down position; I feel they are too stiff in the more upright, vintage position.  

I've run Curnutts in the vintage position but thought they were too stiff; they might have just been too heavy sprung for this application.

BTW, if you want to sell the old Curnutts let me know, I might be interested.

Mick
Mick

Carl Hill

Race tech has fork springs and they will calculate for your weight and intended use.  The forks are actually pretty good for a vintage bike. As far as shocks go it comes down to how much you want to spend. Hagons are Girling copies and work about the Same. I run Konis on my Hare Scrambler and they work better than the Hagons. Ikon is supposed to be identical to Koni so they should work OK. Race Tech sells shocks also and from what I hear are fantastic but too rich for my blood.

Mike OReilly

Have a look at the post "Hello for S. California" for Curnutt rebuild. For a couple of reasons (cost, authenticity) that might be a good way to go.
For the front end, I haven't used them but I would have a look at Race Tech's "emulators".
Mike

Mickey Sergeant

speed and sport has replacement springs. I have the noleen shocks on my bikes. Less than race techs and step up from progressive

Scootern29

I can set up your Curnutts to work very well for a very reasonable price. You have to realise tho that you can't have a shock that work's in the lay down position and the normal upright vintage position. The leverage ratio is comparing Apple's to oranges. It won't work.

johnacapp

Have any POG members used or heard of Bruce's Suspension?
Bruce Triplett, from Salisbury NC?
John Capp

Richard Colahan

To qualify for the AHRMA Vintage class...you will need to mount the shocks in the position that gives the least travel (the limit is 4" at the axle). This will require the softer spring. If your chosen shock results in a bit too-much axle travel...no worries. You can fit some rubber bumpers in place to keep things legal.

And I'm a big fan of good old Curnutts...but to each his own...

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Bob Gilman

Bruce Triplett is originally from Baltimore,the Tripletts had a Penton,Husky,Kawasaki Dealership called Motor Sport Center in the 70's and 80's.He was the main mechanic and rode Enduros and motocross.He is very knowledgeable,also a super guy.I bought many Penton and Husky bikes from them with his set ups.

Mick Milakovic

John, I run Marzocchi reservoir shocks on mine in the laid-down position; I feel they are too stiff in the more upright, vintage position.  

I've run Curnutts in the vintage position but thought they were too stiff; they might have just been too heavy sprung for this application.

BTW, if you want to sell the old Curnutts let me know, I might be interested.

Mick
Mick

Carl Hill

Race tech has fork springs and they will calculate for your weight and intended use.  The forks are actually pretty good for a vintage bike. As far as shocks go it comes down to how much you want to spend. Hagons are Girling copies and work about the Same. I run Konis on my Hare Scrambler and they work better than the Hagons. Ikon is supposed to be identical to Koni so they should work OK. Race Tech sells shocks also and from what I hear are fantastic but too rich for my blood.

Mike OReilly

Have a look at the post "Hello for S. California" for Curnutt rebuild. For a couple of reasons (cost, authenticity) that might be a good way to go.
For the front end, I haven't used them but I would have a look at Race Tech's "emulators".
Mike

Mickey Sergeant

speed and sport has replacement springs. I have the noleen shocks on my bikes. Less than race techs and step up from progressive

Scootern29

I can set up your Curnutts to work very well for a very reasonable price. You have to realise tho that you can't have a shock that work's in the lay down position and the normal upright vintage position. The leverage ratio is comparing Apple's to oranges. It won't work.

johnacapp

Have any POG members used or heard of Bruce's Suspension?
Bruce Triplett, from Salisbury NC?
John Capp