Scam Warning

Started by ALB, February 05, 2018, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALB

I received a phone call from one of our POG members. He received a phone call from someone offering him $7,000 to buy his Penton 250.
     The phone call was received on his cell phone with no phone number listed. He did not advertise his bike for sale. The phone caller knew about the bike, apparently from an old POG calendar or from the bike being shown in a publication. The phone caller wanted to send a check for the purchase of the bike and the bike to be forwarded after the check clears the bank. He was insistant that the title or bill of sale would need to be sent to him right away. The POG member told him that nothing would be sent until the check was received and cleared the bank. With this information, the caller hung up.
     Apparently there is a new scam going on. Be aware of anyone contacting you about buying a bike or anything that you are not selling. If you are selling anything and are willing to accept a check, make sure that the check clears the bank and wait another week after the bank shows the check has cleared before sending anything.
    Tell your friends about this scam so that they are aware of it.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Mick Milakovic

Posted to Cafe Husky and Mark's MX Swapmeet

Mick
Mick

Richard Colahan

And keep in mind..."Certified" checks or "Money Orders" can be faked by clever computer programs.
Nothing leaves...no papers get signed or sent...until ANY non-cash payment method clears as a deposit in your bank.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

thrownchain

I tell 'em you pay cash when you pick it up, weeds out the idiots

rd400pi

So as to not carry thousands of dollars around in my pocket.. Sometimes I offer to send Money Order/Cashiers Check with instructions to sit on it until seller is happy that it is good.  That way they get their money sooner than if cash at pickup which can be weeks later at pickup.  Lots of ways to skin the cat ( can we still say that?).

Mike