12 volt change over

Started by Richard Carlson, February 21, 2018, 09:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Carlson

I am thinking of changing over to the 12 volt electronic ignition Al Buehner sells, any input would be appreciated. Also I will be putting a complete lighting setup on it. (1974 250 Hare Scrambler)

Kip Kern

MZB is the bomb, easy install, easy start, loved them every since the Dalton Mass. Vintage 6 Day event when Dane gave me one to test.

Oldebonz

Have one on my 74 Berkshire,instant starter,runs 12v headlight,tail light,stop light like a modern dual sport bike.Way better than anything from the past.

Don Roth

Like these guys say, one of the smarter things I have done, only tricky
part is setting the timing, make sure your surfaces mate well.

paul a. busick

I have had an MZB on my 1983 Suzuki PE 175 for years now.  I got tired of kicking the poor thing to near death (mine) before it fired. Now I can run any 12 volt bulb that fits and totally enjoy the reliability.  Just be sure to get the timing right. I made an adjustable stop gauge out of a old spark plug to hold the piston at the correct degree before TDC.  The magnets in the fly wheel are so strong that it is difficult to keep the crank from turning during installation. Also, be sure to torque the crank nut to spec..  You don't want the fly wheel to take a spin on it's own and have to figure out how to time it in the woods with out the proper tools.  Yeah, it ain't cheap, but well worth the expense!  
Amherst Paul :D

Oldebonz

Also have the unit on my Bultaco 360 road racer.Have a dual lead coil that fires a hot spark,starts instantly and keeps up at high revs.I had a custom single plug head and single lead coil,switched back to dual plug,same rotor,stator,was worried problems would occur but absolutely none!