Ceriani Fork Caps

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, April 25, 2018, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

What other brand bikes forks use taper top tube Cerianis? Maybe an issue of doing what they had to do to keep up with demand at the KTM plant?? I find it curious that both mine and Mike's are off a '74 bike, maybe the peak year for Penton production?? Just guessing here.
  Hey Kip; You say you have never heard of it, and I have no doubt that you have rebuilt many sets of Ceriani forks, but did you check the thread pitch on each one? Did they all get new after market fork caps?
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

StephenRead

Daniel - Your message hit home with me as I too have some questions about the forks on my 75 250 HS for another message.  I pulled one  fork cap and measured the threads.  They are definitely a 1.00 pitch.  

My bike is a CMF High Breather with laid- down Marzocchi rear shocks, titled as a 1975 model with frame serial number 54-411-79599.  So, a November of 1974 production date.  The forks are the 35mm diameter tapered top tube Ceriani (non-ribbed). Hope this helps.

Daniel P. McEntee

Thanks for the feed back Stephen. I'm going to check outthe caps in a '74/'75 250 I have been building and see what those measure. Maybe this is a '74 thing and may really not be THAT unusual????
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Daniel P. McEntee

Well, today I got the chance to check the caps in a '74 250 I have been stalled on rebuilding and compare them to the caps I have. The frame number on the bike is 54-407, so one question is, is this a '74 or '74 1/2 frame? It has multi position shock mounts. I do not know for sure if the forks came with the bike, too much water under the bridge since I started that rebuild. These caps are much longer and have a different top to them than the two other sets that I have, and the thread count is 1mm. The cap fits the tube of the forks in question. I'm beginning to think that this may be a situation of some 1974 vintage bikes with taper top forks will have these caps in them. I sent pictures to Mike Winter and asked him to post them to this thread for anyone that may have an interest. At least now I think I got a good idea of what I need to be looking for, and and a good feeling that all Ceriani fork caps are not the same!

Larry Perkins

407 would be a 74.5 and should have the multi-position swingarm.

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

Check your email Larry, I just sent you photos.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee