ported 74 1/2 penton

Started by pastmxa, May 25, 2018, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastmxa

Hi everyone, I am rebuilding a 74 1/2 250mc.  I took off the head and cylinder this afternoon.  Upon inspecting the cylinder I found the name Steve Haag, FMF, 8/74.  The ports look modified.  Anyone know who Steve Haag is?  Wondering if he modified the motor and or ported the motor.  The motor looks really good. Piston, cylinder, rings, clutch plates, etc look like they were very lightly used or just rebuilt.  Piston had 71 on the top and a 1 in the center of the piston dome.  Going to measure the cylinder and piston to see what bore, diameter and if it is within tolerance.  I'm really impressed with the build of the motorcycle, mag cases, hubs, brake backing plates, chromoly frame, etc.  All the components were works stuff on other brands.  High quality materials.  
Thanks

Paul Danik

Greetings Richard and Welcome to the Penton Owners Group message board family.

I did a quick Google search for Steve Haag FMF and a number of items came up, below is a link to one of them. Sounds like you have a very nice machine which should perform extremely well.

http://www.jonesmxcollection.com/usercontent/motolibrarypdfs/fmf-project-suzuki-mxa-april1975.pdf

Paul

pastmxa

Thanks Paul, I'll read the material.  Looking forward to riding the 250.

JP Morgen

It would be interesting to see how the porting work matches up to the "Carl Cranke" porting specs. I can send a copy if you are interested. I believe Bob or Robert Haag is the guy,  he now is the Koni shock guy in the US.

checkcrew

Robert is Steve's brother, they both worked for FMF in the 70's

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Mickey Sergeant

I built a 73 Jackpiner last year that was ported by Steve Haag back in the day. It was set up for a reed valve. It goes!

Boyd Riggs

Good stuff! I always like to hear about finding and admiring some ones work from years past. Heh, the part about blowing a few engines while R&D. Good craftsmen, fine products at a fair price. What a concept.
I too own a 74 1/2 250. It has a GEM reed set up. Haven't been into the cylinder or cases as of yet. Running when purchased and haven't the need to wrench on it other than the clutch.
I wonder who might have been in the cylinder of mine?

pastmxa

Quotequote:Originally posted by JP Morgen

It would be interesting to see how the porting work matches up to the "Carl Cranke" porting specs. I can send a copy if you are interested. I believe Bob or Robert Haag is the guy,  he now is the Koni shock guy in the US.

Hi JP, if you could send a copy of the article or specs. I'll measure the specs to my cylinder.  The porting on my cylinder doesnt look too radical.  It seems more like a slight clean up.  My email is [email protected], many thanks, RS

JP Morgen