Letter to the AMA - XC racing classes at VMD

Started by tooclose racing, July 17, 2018, 10:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Guys - this may not go anywhere, but I will be sending a letter to the AMA Racing team and magazine that will request:

1. They need to break up several more classes into Expert/Intermediate (or A/B+C). The disparity in elapsed racing times was just hilarious in many of these classes. In order of priority:

* 60+  btw I think this had the largest sign-up in both races, kinda hilarious but also a sign of the times huh?
* More displacement classes

Yea, yea - no way of policing who signs up for what in this strange but fun "One and Done" kinda race.  BUT - I'd start with announcing that 2017 sign-ups will be screened.  If you clocked less than - I dunno, maybe need to study it a bit - say a 1:05 or 1:10 on the 2017 course, you will be automatically classified as Expert if you sign up for 2018.  For the record - I clocked 1:12's and woul? [8D] :D

2. The variety of bikes that signed up for EVO 1 was hilarious - XC and MX.  Maybe they are onto something and I need to force that thru my AHRMA "ticker" head.

3. What is the deal with these 125 XC classes?  Low value, 200 and under was always the rule in XC with maybe a 100 in VINT.  MAYBE EVO 2 or 3 should have a 125, but sheesh.

I'm crushed by EVO/EVO1 running with VINT, but that's mostly because I run an EVO/EVO1 and a VINT bike. Oh well, seemed to divide up field nicely.

That's it for now - if you are/were a racer at VMD, post your thoughts.  I keep an open mind.  You just have to these days, huh?  :)

hanksie

Maybe invite 'em up to Pine Lake in a couple of weeks,just to hang out,   Bill

Larry Perkins

Ever since the AMA took over Mid-Ohio when them and AHRMA parted ways they have dropped lesser attended classes.  They adjust every year for this and more classes get combined.  There is no 100cc class in MX anymore and so many mxers started in that class.  It is this way because the AMA is not trying to preserve the memory of these bikes as AHRMA does but are in the business of making money and profit.  It is why your letter will fall on deaf ears in my opinion.

Larry P

mwthacker

I had always heard of vintage days and thought I would try it this year. I ride a few of the AHRMA events each year and really like those. People had told me that it was the show of the year. It was good as a lot of things to do but racing sucked. I rode the 60+ class and started on the main back row on a track less than three miles long. It was long lines of bikes and trying to get by those was close quarters to say the least. The highlight of the event for me was getting to meet Mr. Penton and the folks at P.O.G.....

wfopete

This was my first VMD. Wow.

I'll bet the AMA has a stack of letters a foot high already about the weekend.

That said I understand that the AMA "farms out" the competition events to local AMA clubs.  I also understand that the first club that was to handle the MX dropped out and another club was called to take it's place.  

As far as XC, I pre-entered EVO2 and only saw a Open 50+ class (row 4) available and no 60+ class offered. Did I miss it or was it added at sign up?

I agree with point #2 and they need to dump the modern classes.

I also felt sorry for the "Vintage" class XC riders that had to race AFTER the VO classes as the trail ws already getting chewed by the VO classes by the first lap.

I think the biggest problem is the AMA trying to "Re-event the Wheel" for a one time event.  Can you imagine all the work that goes into this for a once a year event? Then layer on more complexity for monitoring or reviewing skill levels? Yikes!  Yeah bringing in AHRMA into the fold would be nice but probably unrealistic.  

I see the VMDs as the "Woodstock" of vintage bike gatherings. It's kind of a goof as far as racing goes so I don't take it too seriously. Win, lose or draw it's just for fun since it's a one day, no points deal.

That said, are the XC or MX scores posted anywhere?  :)

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

skiracer

Has the thought ever occurred to you that the AMA doesn't really care about the XC event?  That just maybe they threw the event in there to keep the noise down? Good luck in getting any results from them!

Next you will be telling us that you are writing to AHRMA asking them why they don't have a working electronic scoring system for the XC like most other organizations here in the US.....

Let's face it, XC is the step child for these organizations.  It doesn't bring in a lot of money for them, so the support back to the events is minimal.  Just look at the annual financials, and you will see the relation of money earned, and money spent.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

wfopete

Just talked with the MX and XC reps for the VMDs.  

MX scores can be found here:

http://results.americanmotorcyclist.com/results/motocross/2018/22654-ama-vintage-motocross-grand-championship/results

XC should be posted sometime soon both on the AMA and the AMA VMDs sites. This link should take you there:

http://results.americanmotorcyclist.com/results/hare-scrambles/2018/27945-ama-vintage-hare-scramble-grand-championship/results

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

derek martin

Has AHRMA done away with XC electronic scoring?

skiracer

They still have it, but it doesn't always work, and is not always correct.  Becky Hayes has been pulling her hair out for the past couple of years with this.  They use the system, but have two manual persons taking the information.  After riding in events where the electronic system works as it should, it is really sad to see how the state of the AHRMA system......  Again, XC is the low discipline on their list, so, the funds and concerns are not there to fix it.....

Quotequote:Originally posted by derek martin

Has AHRMA done away with XC electronic scoring?

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Gordon Brennan

QuoteAgain, XC is the low discipline on their list, so, the funds and concerns are not there to fix it....
QuoteFunny, after competing, as well as setting up some ahrma Trials events, I've always heard and thought TRIALS was the ugly step daughter to ahrma.