steel tank cleaning help

Started by Dale Sonnenschein, October 23, 2018, 01:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Sonnenschein

Hi all, I have a general steel tank question and I thought this is the best place to tap into a wealth of knowledge. I have a bike I just bought and the tank was creamed inside years ago. It's starting to flake. Is there a way to get the cream coating off?
Thanks
dale

Scootern29

I did a tank this past year with an initial cleaning using a pressure washer. After the loose stuff came off I let it sit with cleaning vinegar inside for a couple of days then pressure washed it again. I had to repeat this process a couple of times. It worked for me.

Dale Sonnenschein

Thanks Scootern. I'll give it a try!

Richard Colahan

Dale...after the loose stuff comes out, you'll need to dissolve the remainder of that Creeme. Not sure...but perhaps the Acetone suggested by the Caswell folks might do that.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

slvrbrdfxr

Dale,
If I remember correctly, the Kreem tank liner is an MEK based product and so I'd think using MEK would dissolve what remains after pressure washing. Just be careful not to get the MEK on the tank's painted surfaces as it will sure remove the paint too. Good luck.
Dave McC

Dale Sonnenschein

Thanks guy's, I'll probably work on it this weekend. Looks like rain both days!!  Talk of snow friday night too!