175 low end improvements....

Started by skiracer, January 23, 2019, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James, I can't e-mail at this time, something going on with my account,one of my grand kids got on it so??? My wifes phone # is 812-830-9918 and we can tex. Ol Dave

tooclose racing

Hi James - you KNOW I will find this a fascinating topic. If you are talking about a 7 fin pre-76 motor, then I too might point to the carb. Gary set mine up with the 30 mm Bing and it is an electric motor, very good low to mid, actually makes me lazy to shift sometimes.

If you are talking about the newer 6 fin motor, is it just an entirely different animal. As you know I run a 34 Mikuni on mine, it's clean down low, but will never have anything resembling "bottom end" - it's a revver. My gearing is lower than the Jackpiner to account/help out a bit because of this.

Good luck, my friend.

skiracer

Yes, it is the 7 fin top end.  And yes, the carb settings did not like the change from NY to FL. Made some adjustments with the help of Kevin Donovan, and it runs much better, thanks for the input!

Quotequote:Originally posted by tooclose racing

Hi James - you KNOW I will find this a fascinating topic. If you are talking about a 7 fin pre-76 motor, then I too might point to the carb. Gary set mine up with the 30 mm Bing and it is an electric motor, very good low to mid, actually makes me lazy to shift sometimes.

If you are talking about the newer 6 fin motor, is it just an entirely different animal. As you know I run a 34 Mikuni on mine, it's clean down low, but will never have anything resembling "bottom end" - it's a revver. My gearing is lower than the Jackpiner to account/help out a bit because of this.

Good luck, my friend.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

JP Morgen

Can you say reed valve!! I am always amazed it took KTM so long to add reed valves, old KTM motors fly with the addition of a reed valve, but not an old GEM...

jbushey

Quotequote:Originally posted by JP Morgen

Can you say reed valve!! I am always amazed it took KTM so long to add reed valves, old KTM motors fly with the addition of a reed valve, but not an old GEM...

JEFF BUSHEY
JEFF BUSHEY

jbushey

Quotequote:Originally posted by jbushey

JEFF BUSHEY
Hi JP do you need to change the piston or porting if you add a reed?

JEFF BUSHEY
JEFF BUSHEY

Larry Perkins

The piston needs holes and to get the full benefit you need some boost porting.  JP has done this alot so he can probably give you specifics.

Larry P

JP Morgen

You can put a reed valve on and nothing else, makes the bike more responsive, cleaner jetting, but to take full advantage if you want more HP, then you add/modify boost ports and add holes to the piston.

Larry Perkins

JP I sent you a brain picking question on FB.

Larry P

skiracer

How do you fit a reed block, the carb, and the air boot in that area????  I have enough trouble dealing with a stock set up!!!

You can put a reed valve on and nothing else, makes the bike more responsive, cleaner jetting, but to take full advantage if you want more HP, then you add/modify boost ports and add holes to the piston.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

skiracer

Just a follow up to my carb issue...  I ended up changing the slide from a 2.0 to a 2.5, the needle jet from P-6 to a P-4, the pilot jet from 27.5 to 30, and lowered the clip one notch.  Runs so much better off the bottom.  Thanks for all the input, well appreciated!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa