Lucky buy?

Started by Mick Milakovic, October 04, 2002, 09:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

I bought a 250 Penton last weekend for $250.  It runs, but is rough.  The engine date code says 10/73.  Is this a '73 engine or a '74?   The frame appears to be a '77 or '78.  Is the bike worth more as is, or should I look for a different frame and motor?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
[email protected]
Mick

Larry Perkins

Mick,

That motor is most likely silver and was originally in a early 74 chassis.  The 77 and 78 frames are easy to tell apart because the 78 was an orange frame.  The serial number on the frame will ID the year of it.  Except for racing purpose the best set-up as far as value is the proper motor and frame together.  In racing there are combos that work better than original and can skate around rules.

Mick Milakovic

Thanks for the reply.  The motor is silver, and the frame is a rusty black.  I'll assume it's a '77.  In particular, what serial #'s will identify the year?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
[email protected]
Mick

tofriedel

Mike,

My 77 GS is a silver frame.  Check the frame number, this will correctly identify the year.

Tony

Tony

john durrill

Mick,
 we have how to id. your penton posted in the Library.
here is the link,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PentonRestorationandTechGroup/files/Identifying%20Your%20Penton/
John

Mick Milakovic

Thanks for the great information,. but I'm still confused.  The first three numbers stamped on my steering head are '550', and that doesn't match anything on the TechGroup file.  I'm beginning to think it's not a Penton frame at all.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
[email protected]
Mick

paavojaelvis

Hi, Mick!

Could it be a 80 cc KTM frame?
I have a feeling, that it might be...

w/rgds:
Paavo Pernu
Technician,Age 39
KTM 125 GS  -77
KTM 125 GS6 -78
w/rgds:
Paavo Pernu
Technician,Age 39
KTM 125 GS  -77
KTM 125 GS6 -78

Mick Milakovic

Not unless a 1973 250 KTM engine will fit the original motor mounts.

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
[email protected]
Mick

paavojaelvis

Mick,
you're right, a -73 250 engine won't just "drop in".  Sorry, if I've confused you. My -78 125 has also a weird VIN: 855 10519, and the frame has been there since new.  The first number must identify the year, but the two following...? However, my -77 KTM GS (with Sachs engine), frame # 703 93849, makes sense. Did KTM change their frame numbering system many times during the 70's?  I know, 80's & 90's are a totally different story. About your frame, does it have a bolt-on tail piece above the rear fender? How about the rear brake pedal: cast alloy or stamped steel?

w/rgds:
Paavo Pernu
Technician,Age 39
KTM 125 GS  -77
KTM 125 GS6 -78
w/rgds:
Paavo Pernu
Technician,Age 39
KTM 125 GS  -77
KTM 125 GS6 -78

Rocket

Mick
Do you have a 77 KTM with a Sachs motor?  I have a 77 Penton 100 with a Sachs engine.  I believe they are very rare.  Nobody seems to know anything about them.
Rocket

rob w

Mick, I have a "78" GS6, the frame number is 855 08915 and the space between the 5 and the 0 is weird, like they could'nt commit to make it a space or not. The first digit on your bike could be undetectible because of paint. Check out how many digits are in your frame #, there should be eight.
 This is always a fun game but if you want to nail it, start by sanding the paint off around the numbers on the head tube. Then you might find the original color of the frame and report back with all the numbers, also the engine numbers located on the R.H. center case above the ignition cover.

Rocket, Have you submitted a photo of your 77-100 to Doug for B.O.M., that's one I would like to see.

Rob.

Mick Milakovic

The motor is KTM, but not original.  It's a '73.  My frame #'s are:  550 00434.  The forks do not appear original, almost Japanese looking.  It does have the "banana" swingarm, so I have to believe it is a Penton frame.  I'm going to take it to Red Bud's grass race next weekend.  Is anyone going?

Mick Milakovic
Delphi, IN
765-268-2570
[email protected]
Mick

Rocket

Rob
I am in the process of restoring the 77 100.  Probably be this winter before I am done, also working on a 74 250 at the same time.
Rocket